Need Help With This Find/ Hibbard Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, This must be my month!!!

This bike was chained to a house porch in the old part of town for quite awhile. Finally found the relatives of the old fellow that use to live there, (house has been vacant for some years). This morning they allowed me to go get the bike. Just got it home, and now that it's mine I can talk about it.

The neck badge is as follows "Hibbard", "True Value", "Deluxe", "H.S.B. & Co.", Chicago.

The bike still rides (looks like tires were changed out in the last 15-20 years)

Here's my questions:

Year? I'm guessing early 30"s

Who made the bike for Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett? Could it have been schwinn because of the heart skip tooth sprocket.

Is this bike as rare as I'm beginning to think it is?

All intell would be greatly apprieciated!!

Looks like a 36-37 Schwinn to me. Nice find!

They were affixed with literally hundreds of head badges. I think I have seen this one before.

Found out it is a Schwinn, made for HSB & Co., HSB & Co. started the True Value Brand in 1932, thus the head badge markings. I believe your right it is a 35-37.

I've never seen this head badge. Plus the chainguard is correct, but was it originally drilled? If it wasn't someone did it way back!

Also, as far as value, this one has me stumped. A friend is already trying to con me out of the head bage! Which I won't do!!

If you do get rid of it keep it together. It's a shame to see these old bikes parted out and there's not many left. Personally I'd keep it.

Those chainguards were available in that configuration as well as solid, and even with a couple other hole shapes. It seems the holey ones are often found on circa 36 vintage bikes. If you pull the crank out it probably has a year cast into it. I don't hold firm opinions about dollar values, but I routinely see people asking $600 or more for one like that.

outskirtscustoms said:
If you do get rid of it keep it together. It's a shame to see these old bikes parted out and there's not many left. Personally I'd keep it.

Oh, don't worry, you sound just like me :wink:

I have no intention of getting rid of cool old pre-war bikes in any form!!! They are what I enjoy, usually in as found condition like this one.

dougfisk said:
Those chainguards were available in that configuration as well as solid, and even with a couple other hole shapes. It seems the holey ones are often found on circa 36 vintage bikes. If you pull the crank out it probably has a year cast into it. I don't hold firm opinions about dollar values, but I routinely see people asking $600 or more for one like that.

I really appreciate all your input. Main reason I like values for the bikes I keep is so I can keep my contents insurance up to date in the shop :wink:

Looks like it has a B.C.Jiffy kickstand. Prewar and heavy duty. Jiffy stands were used by Harley Davidson on their motorcycles. Gary

B607 said:
Looks like it has a B.C.Jiffy kickstand. Prewar and heavy duty. Jiffy stands were used by Harley Davidson on their motorcycles. Gary

Yep. Funny thing is, I have 4 bikes with these stands on them, and still to this day, you can catch me forgetting to push in before pulling back. :roll:

Absolutely gorgeous find :shock:

Id throw some old whitewalls on it and call it DONE!

:mrgreen:

I am in the process of getting an old Hibbard that appears to have the same headbadge as yours, but a different frame.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=76693

Latest posts

Back