Dona Regina build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think he smuggled all that back on the airplane…
No, no bike parts on the plane but I managed to arrange shipping for a Some-Ott (2,000? 2010 my guess) Taiwan Heavy Duti. Uma doencia mesma.
70260617956__7708FB8B-6C47-4E08-AFCF-930315BC90C4.JPG
70260623896__2F4FA9D0-4E48-46B6-A4D9-CD87958ECFFE.JPG
70260628328__0A2A3E92-1F6D-440E-ACD8-F4C15AE4619BCROP.jpg

Hahaha that's another symptom of the Rat Disorder; "visiting family" sometimes involves trying to figure out how to pack parts in a suitcase
I thought of cutting up my 53 Schwinn and 1942 Hawthorne frames, then having them welded back together over here. I should have done it!
1953 Schwinn.jpg

42548_dfcaa5fa48622a6c63bac75fee4bd386 - Copy.jpg

I thought of cutting up my 53 Schwinn and 1942 Hawthorne frames, then having them welded back together over here. I should have done it!
View attachment 234617

View attachment 234618
I was in Japan in 2018 with a mate who was importing used motorcycles. We went to a wrecking yard where I saw a team of blokes cutting Super cub frames in half to minimise the cost of shipping for export to Africa. The owner of the yard wouldn't let me take photos of them cutting up the frames but these are a couple of photos I took that day.
IMG_8714 (002).JPG
IMG_8681 (002).JPG

I want to add hand-painted lettering to Regina and began by removing dumb stickers and the "Collegiate" paint.
IMG_3312.jpg

I was nervous about damaging the lovely emerald green paint but acetone on a micro fiber rag removed it nicely.

IMG_3316.jpg

I also cleaned up the seat tube

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

I don't think I'll reinstall the chain guard so the lettering will go on the "upper" down tube, something like this:
IMG_3317-Edit.jpg

I love the Schwinn feather!

I got a little impatient with the stickers and need to slow down and finish the work carefully, this is my favorite Schwinn green color.
Once the stickers are off I will use rubbing compound to gently clean and brighten the paint, then polish and wax.

Has anyone painted their saddle before? I'd really appreciate any tips.
I will definitely test on another saddle first. BTW, is this a ladies saddle? Dunno.
IMG_3064.jpg

Last edited:
I want to add hand-painted lettering to Regina and began by removing dumb stickers and the "Collegiate" paint.
View attachment 235167

I was nervous about damaging the lovely emerald green paint but acetone on a micro fiber rag removed it nicely.

View attachment 235169

I also cleaned up the seat tube

View attachment 235170

View attachment 235171

I don't think I'll reinstall the chain guard so the lettering will go on the "upper" down tube, something like this:
View attachment 235173

I love the Schwinn feather!

I got a little impatient with the stickers and need to slow down and finish the work carefully, this is my favorite Schwinn green color.
Once the stickers are off I will use rubbing compound to gently clean and brighten the paint, then polish and wax.

Has anyone painted their saddle before? I'd really appreciate any tips.
I will definitely test on another saddle first. BTW, is this a ladies saddle? Dunno.
View attachment 235175
@OddJob has had luck with flex seal on seats in the past

I wanted to paint the rear caliper, I liked the gray but wanted to add an accent color to match the fork. so I wiped it down with denatured alcohol and sprayed it but there were several fisheyes in the finish.
IMG_2691-Edit.jpg

So I stripped all the paint off with this amazing stuff.
Works great, old paint almost falls off.

IMG_3343.JPG

Wiped it down again and the primed and two-coated with this:
IMG_3341.jpg
IMG_3355.jpg

I want it to get super hard before I reassemble, does anyone low-temp bake a fresh paint job?
I've had fresh paint get chipped even after 12 days dry time.

Abraço

Last edited:
Paint chips are indeed a problem.

Our oven doesn't work, so we cook in a tabletop electric oven, a bit like this:

466593bc48f880bd0ae96f13e456.jpeg

I could see myself trying something like this out for painted things, it has a nice window in the top.

does anyone low-temp bake a fresh paint job?
I hang mine in the rafters of the garage, it gets pretty warm in there, sometimes for a couple of weeks. I say it's to cure, but in reality it's because I'm lazy and tend to procrastinate

So after a lot of tests and practice I ended up going with the 1.04mm safety wire for the cable clamps. 5/32" drill bit worked best with the shifter cable.

IMG_3420.jpg
IMG_3431.jpg
IMG_3432.jpg
IMG_3433.jpg
IMG_3434.jpg
IMG_3435.jpg
IMG_3429.jpg
IMG_3424.jpg

I liked the look of the heavier wire but it was more difficult to control tension.
I first got the idea from this little guy I bought at the city park from a talented artist.

IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG

Made from two pieces of wire. One is the pedals/crank, the other is everything else!
It begins and ends at the hipster brake levers. Follow it and you'll see it's true!
And yes, the crank cranks, lol.

Latest posts

Back