New Boardtrack Build (mock up pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To replace the bike my bro. got from me I am building another one like kinda like it.It is starting from an old beat up Shogun roadbike.It will have 3 speed wheel, cream colored tires,Cleaveland Welding type fork. I already have most of the parts for this build.It will be painted a grayish green. I want it to look like the color of old machinery, I will know it when I see it.I am going to have my bro. weld me a second bar on the frame.

bike I am replacing.
boardtrack012.jpg

Influences on the build.......
a couple of Ivers Johson frames
DD3O87CAMM3Y0PCA9NQHAUCAEPWL4RCANVT.jpg

S82AJ2CAHAY04HCAWW668CCAA922YPCAUC0.jpg

Boardtrackers cool bike
Picture052.jpg

Where I first seen thinner cream tires. I love this bike.
trd79.jpg

Bike Im using as base, an old Shogun
boardtrack011.jpg

parts.......(thanks Crassly)
boardtrack013.jpg

boardtrack014.jpg

boardtrack015.jpg

before and after stripping, still need final grinding and sanding. Will do after second bar welded on.
boardtrack016.jpg

boardtrack017.jpg

Re: New Boardtrack Build

Good start. I love seeing the neck still on that fork. I took the one I have off of the frame and you have to take them all apart to get them off. You might check and see if you could just pull the pins out and take the bottom legs off and get it apart easier. Dont break it like i did they are hard to fix. :cry:

This will be a great build. I think using a larger frame than the older ones should definately make it rideable.

I love that fork/spring truss combo. Is that made by cleveland welding?

am i going to want to copy this one too?

what size are thoses tires?

I thought those springs were for looks, now I see how they work...thanks to that pic, I am enlightened...now I am brighter!

Progress has been made on this build, but it seems to have fought me all the way. :x I got the arched 2nd bar brazed on last week. I cleaned up the welds and places where the cable stays were. The paint went on great.It is just about the shade I had in mind, I wanted it to look like old machinery.The fork is where the problems arose.I was forewarned that the fork was off of a girls bike and would need some tweaking to make it fit properly.Let me preface this by saying I am not a bike mechanic or a wrench of any kind. I basicly assemble bikes, thats it. :wink: Since the fork tube was too long it needed to be cut down an inch or so,did that.Now I needed threads added, had the bike shop do that.The tube is now at shorter length,which meant the truss rods were now too long, I added threads,horray.With the new threads a slot was needed so the truss rod bracket would slide down,did that.The biggest problem was that at its new length the inside of the tube narrowed by about a 1/16". The stem would not slide down far enough. My solution was to break out the grinder again and shave off the metal on the bottom of the stem till it fit. I had to do the same with the wedge.The bars will probably be changed out,they seem too big. If I can't find bars that are comfortable when flipped I may put them upright.Comfort first. :wink: The seat is probably getting switched as well. I am thinking about a black hairpin replica. It will have black torpedo grips also.As much of a pain this build has been I really am happy with the way its looking. Hopefully she will be ready to ride by next weekend.I dont know yet where I am going to put the shifter, I really dont like the idea of having a black cable running the length of the bike.To be continued.........
boardtrack020.jpg

boardtrack021.jpg

boardtrack022.jpg

boardtrack023.jpg

Classy lookin! The green is perfect. Seat looks good, but I agree, black would look better.

I knew as soon as I put those bars on that they werent the right ones.It was basicly so I could take pic of semi complete bike. I am in the process of sorting through what I have in "the pile o parts".None that really are what I want for this build.Right now I have some semi stright bars that look better but I am still going to be looking for the right ones. :wink:

Back