New guy in MI (need a little ID help)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forums here for a few weeks, and I've always been into bikes and hot rods, so what better way to combine two of my loves than to join the rat rod bikes forum.

I'm 19, male, and I live in Grand Rapids, MI.
I work as an automotive technician, and I'm going to college for automotive service.
Before I could tinker on cars, I played with bikes, swapping parts and making things work that shouldn't work. I abandoned my bicycles for a few years while I messed around with cars and such, and I currently got back into bikes thanks to a friend who talked me into going riding this summer.

I like to stand out from the crowd with what I ride, which is why I ride this:
SSPX0543.jpg

one reason I joined is because I don't know what it is. I got it for free from a guy and it has clearly been repainted, I can't find a serial number and the only thing I know about it is the chainguard says "tourist expert."

I would like to tear it down and rebuild it with a little rat rod flare but I would also like to know what it actually is.

here are 2 other pics of the bike I took:
SSPX0544.jpg

SSPX0545.jpg

I don't know how much is original or not, but I did change the seat to the more comfortable one you see on it. It has 26" wheels, and some cool looking fenders that I've never seen before.

If anyone could help me identify it, we could be best friends forever ;)

good tip, forgot about the rear hub. it is an S/A. I'll run and check it a sec.

I just checked and the hub was like this:

below the S/A logo, it had some numbers that looked like this

55 8

The chain guard looks to be taken from a Columbia bike, and the rest looks like 60's/70's Hercules, made by Raleigh. The forks are the giveaway, otherwise the frame is almost identical to Raleigh. The chain ring and brakes look like 60's/70's also. It also could be one of the other off brands of Raleigh, like Robin Hood or BSA.

Post up pics of your rebuild. The steering bearings and crank bearings are loose, get ready for them to go all over the place. I put a wash basin underneath to catch them all.

yeah, I looked into raleighs and things like the rear dropouts were saying raleigh, but the serial number (which I found) didn't folow the raleigh system.

so you may be onto something with the other branded "raleighs"

I'll try to remember to use a bucket when taking the headset apart.

Thanks for the help and anything else is appreciated!

EDIT: I also found a couple pics of vintage 50's and 60's raleighs, and the fenders looked very similar to mine, though none of them were chrome. My rear hub was dated "55" so I was searching in that era for pics and info, but it seemed like a lot of real raleighs from this era had drum brakes. just an observation.

The serial number on the seat lug was
WB

from oldroads.com:
"A new numbering system was introduced in 1955, though this
ran concurrently with the old one for two years. The new
system involved a second running letter, added to the first,
which began at the start of the alphabet.

1956 23839 A
1957 27227 AB
1958 17910 AD
1960 27273 AE
1961 13126 AF
1965/6 40814 FD
1966 64521 FE

from Nottinghamshire Archives, 1994
Compiled by "Jim B." of New Hampshire"

Markm said:
from oldroads.com:
"A new numbering system was introduced in 1955, though this
ran concurrently with the old one for two years. The new
system involved a second running letter, added to the first,
which began at the start of the alphabet.

1956 23839 A
1957 27227 AB
1958 17910 AD
1960 27273 AE
1961 13126 AF
1965/6 40814 FD
1966 64521 FE

from Nottinghamshire Archives, 1994
Compiled by "Jim B." of New Hampshire"

I had run accross this table actually, but as you can tell, the numbers didn't make any sense with the chart other than the amount of digits and the 2 letters added. I'm just gonna go for it without knowing what it is, and assume its within the raleigh family from the 50's 60's era.

I found my inspiration for my rebuild of this bike in the October 2004 issue of Rod and Custom Magazine, Rusty Baldwin's '32 Ford Sedan
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/fea ... index.html

I'll try to pull the color scheme into the bike when I re-do it. I might not start on it for a while cuz I'm working on finishing a guitar project, but as soon as that's done, its on with the bike. watch for a build thread in the builds section.

I think your fenders are aluminum. I had a Hercules with aluminum fenders, but I can't find a pic of one anywhere. If you sand it down to paint, maybe you can see the shape of the original head badge on the front, they all used different shapes. If you can make it out, post a pic and I'll match it up.

Thanks guys!

When I sand it down for paint, I will see if I can pick out an outline of the headbadge. As far as I know, there aren't any holes on the head where a badge would attatch, but maybe whoever repainted it filled them in.

Thanks for the welcomes and ideas!

I just did a little lunch hour research, and from what I've collected, it is a late 60's AMF Hercules. based on the fenders, the chainwheel, the fork, and the orignal seat, I think that's what I have.

Back