New guy in SE Kansas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually try to follow forum rules these days instead of jumping in and posting. So I'm supposed to stop in and introduce myself. My name is Steven Hellwig. My user name many other places is sfhellwig but that was not allowed so I guess I will be addressed by a childhood camp nickname. I am located in Pittsburg, KS. Anyone near by let me know. There are a lot of "cyclist" in every town but not always one's like us that appreciate out bikes the way many of us do. That is why I ended up here. I went searching for a bike forum to aid in the frame modding on my "chopper" bike and while I initially inquiring on a motored bike forum, I surely didn't fit there as I don't have a motor and don't know if/when I will ever add one. So this looks to be the place for modifying old bikes and being creative and still pedaling the thing around, since there are so many creative commuters. My bike is a little different than many I see here but if you go by certain definitions it is stripped, rusted and painted in flat. So here you go:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/ ... dframe.jpg

The bike WAS a Jesse James WCC kid's chopper. I had the frame stretched by a family friend who is a professional weldor. The bike was stretched approx. 9 inches. It is now long enough that I (6'1") am stretching to reach the bars. Hopefully this will get you all interested. I suppose I will make a build thread now so I can show before and after as well as cover some details.

Hey Steven, hello and welcome to RatRodBikes! You will like it here!
I would like to see more pics of your bike. I'm impressed at how well the tubes on your frame lined-up after the stretch . . . COOL! 8)
My daughter and I are working on stretching an OCC chopper for her right now.

Welcome from California !! Love your stretch..I am a huge fan of the Jesse James bikes..i currently have 3..1 bone stock with all the stickers and goodies, 1 Bobber cloned, and 1 that i want to stretch..liking ALOT how you did that..guess i know what i am doing this weekend..
Enjoy this place..your going to fit in well here !! :D

Welcome from Newton, KS. Nice stretch/chopper you got there.
When you say you're from SE Kansas, you not kidding :shock: . Very south and very east. If you ever want to make the trip, Wichita has a good bike scene. Check out the Coasters:
http://locojoe.com/coasters/

Added a bike build thread. It has a before and concept pic as well as the one above. I will be updating it as soon as I finish working the fender. Might even have to find a nice piece of scenery to do a small photo shoot. The single picture does not do it justice. Thanks for all the welcomes guys. I do have family in Wichita but combining a visit with bicycle activity might be kind of difficult. But good to know anyway. Jump on over to the other thread and ask/comment away. See you guys around.

That's the thing about KS, everything is either KC or Wichita. Not that Udal is Wichita but it's out there. I feel bad, I had to look it up. Maybe I'll have a better chance of getting to a bike event than the bonsai groups I've wanted to attend (both are KC and Wichita). At least the kids might be interested in a bike event. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back