New here, wanna post Koolness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum. Really enjoyed reading up about this unique bike. Must be a great ride! Its a real shame Schwinn doesn't do some higher quality bikes with more modern geometry. Guess the name is pretty much trashed now most people won't pay for a better quality bike.

It is a shame. The last of these was 2006 and sold under the "Select Series" of Schwinn. That's when Schwinn still had retail stores. But yeah, the euro bottom bracket, the geometry & other features really made these Kool bikes, they even had a female version that was blk/pink!

My heavy duti is a select series bike. Very well made, roomy, solid frame. Now much modified from original but great frame to use as a base.
43229143-E400-4C5C-A2DD-2B96DFB0A4F7.jpeg
0DFBAB12-C00B-45BD-836D-BB305AC09280.jpeg

My heavy duti is a select series bike. Very well made, roomy, solid frame. Now much modified from original but great frame to use as a base.View attachment 169931View attachment 169932
I personally wouldn't touch it!
I bought one of those new (matte blk) & let it go in a trade. Just KOOL.
Last of the good ones. Now on to something I've been scratching my head about. Not so much into the hobby like I used to be but am still semi knowledgable, what's a bike like MY Aluminum Schwinn Panther worth???
I also have another one 95% stock in prolly #strong7 on a 10 scale. What I do know about mine is that it was a lil over $2k in parts (2021). Excluding the $255 I paid for the frameset. I know, I know but...cuz Koolness.
If it takes all out wickedness to make um known/noticed...so be it. It's my place to pay it forward & preserve. I bought 2 so as to go nutts on 1 & leave the other as found.

I personally wouldn't touch it!
I bought one of those new (matte blk) & let it go in a trade. Just KOOL.
Last of the good ones. Now on to something I've been scratching my head about. Not so much into the hobby like I used to be but am still semi knowledgable, what's a bike like MY Aluminum Schwinn Panther worth???
I also have another one 95% stock in prolly #strong7 on a 10 scale. What I do know about mine is that it was a lil over $2k in parts (2021). Excluding the $255 I paid for the frameset. I know, I know but...cuz Koolness.
If it takes all out wickedness to make um known/noticed...so be it. It's my place to pay it forward & preserve. I bought 2 so as to go nutts on 1 & leave the other as found.
Looked @ that H.D. & I think I'm in love. Even the diamond plate chainring.......! Purpose built. Being here in Detroit Motor City you would be surprised how many of these old yellow twins troll the massive manufacturing facilities... Car factories. Some have been there since the sixties I bet. Even figure low Schwinn heavy duty trikes that I don't think we're ever released to the General Public or advertised if at all. I give you my word though no, I have seen them. 26 in S2 Wheels with spokes the size of pencils & diamond plate flatbed. Some with Springer front ends and some with truss rods on the front fork. Yes the usual Schwinn trike back half but 26 in wheels. Some of them are worksman cycle company but the Schwinns are held onto by the old timers and they even have spare parts in The Tool Crib locked up to maintain them. The one in the Hamtramck GM plant that I have had my eyes on for years has a Schwinn Typhoon cord on the front/ S2 wheel, Springer, boys frame (kool lemon) yellow paint, twin s2's w/Schwinn tractor tires rear, messenger B1seat black (yes "B1") & a single cylinder diesel generator on the back. 220 volt! It has a lucky 7 front chainring w/long crank arms and a 22t rear cog on the diff. What blows me away most is the headtube... long boy, like on a tall Schwinn Varsity. I've heard that Schwinn had boys cruiser frames like this but have NEVER seen one 2 wheels or 3 until that one. Been following it since the 80's.
I've been tempted to ya know

Looked @ that H.D. & I think I'm in love. Even the diamond plate chainring.......! Purpose built. Being here in Detroit Motor City you would be surprised how many of these old yellow twins troll the massive manufacturing facilities... Car factories. Some have been there since the sixties I bet. Even figure low Schwinn heavy duty trikes that I don't think we're ever released to the General Public or advertised if at all. I give you my word though no, I have seen them. 26 in S2 Wheels with spokes the size of pencils & diamond plate flatbed. Some with Springer front ends and some with truss rods on the front fork. Yes the usual Schwinn trike back half but 26 in wheels. Some of them are worksman cycle company but the Schwinns are held onto by the old timers and they even have spare parts in The Tool Crib locked up to maintain them. The one in the Hamtramck GM plant that I have had my eyes on for years has a Schwinn Typhoon cord on the front/ S2 wheel, Springer, boys frame (kool lemon) yellow paint, twin s2's w/Schwinn tractor tires rear, messenger B1seat black (yes "B1") & a single cylinder diesel generator on the back. 220 volt! It has a lucky 7 front chainring w/long crank arms and a 22t rear cog on the diff. What blows me away most is the headtube... long boy, like on a tall Schwinn Varsity. I've heard that Schwinn had boys cruiser frames like this but have NEVER seen one 2 wheels or 3 until that one. Been following it since the 80's.
I've been tempted to ya know
One more thing, the handlebars look to be the rears from a tandem. Cruiser style but taller

Sorry, re the fenders I have stored them for the next owner. I’ve swapped out most of the parts. Bars are Electra attitude, mx-550 stem from parts bike and nexus 7 rear hub. I have never seen another HD for sale here.

Kendall K Rads
Sorry, re the fenders I have stored them for the next owner. I’ve swapped out most of the parts. Bars are Electra attitude, mx-550 stem from parts bike and nexus 7 rear hub. I have never seen another HD for sale here.
Yeah, really cool bike. I dig they did it in str8 bar goodness. Don't make me buy it so I can repopulate those fenders in aluminum. Lol. I'm pretty sure those are stainless steel.

Haha doing my research on the frame, found where op tried posting his bike on the MTbr. It was ME what referred him here! :rofl:
Thanks!
I like this one a lot, when I get home a frame search may start…
I’m a steely, but aluminum is much easier in the swamp, so I’m willing to try.

Thanks!
I like this one a lot, when I get home a frame search may start…
I’m a steely, but aluminum is much easier in the swamp, so I’m willing to try.
They are stainless, really nicely made too.

I think the HD was the only LATE MODEL to get stainless steel fenders. They are the same fenders mine came with but mine were hydro dipped to look like de carbon fibré
(Carbon fiber)
That's why I need um. Mine were junk & not good candidates for repop

You guys are killing me!
Did somebody hip you these are my Favs.
I'm 55, 180 lbs, 5'10" & fit like I really shouldn't be.
The only thing I can say is maybe it's from pedaling around big azz HD's for a long long time. I was chosen from my hood by the local Schwinn bike shop to represent the "NEW" Schwinn Scrambler. The owner Denny said cuz I'd been riding a Stingray w/a fork off a 24" (paint matching) s2's front& rear...36 spoke,knobbys, varsity seat & Stingray jr handle bars.
Lucky 7 front & 16t rear cog. Painted marina blue (GM) color and as mint as the day is long. I later swapped out for a banana and then a bread loaf from a hurricane. Didn't much use the seat but in the earlier days of BMX rules were rules.
I was a runaway w/my lil doggy in the late 70's and traveled all over the mid to east coast. Running the BMX circuit & back then ya didn't need a parent's signature or...
So here I am... groin up in Detroit from a single parent fam, wanting something. Not even sure what something was. I was out there, 13 years old & in Ohio at a Schwinndig & an ol dude came up and said...dude, your lookin a lil rough. Everything OK?
Yup, I got signed in and I'm good. HIM: not what I'm talkin about lil dude, you ok?
My mind was all good & I replied: yeah, I'm worried about this cuz I got my ride hight right but I'm not sure if this fork will take it. He says, drop it down for stiffer & me: "can't" Gotta have the long crank arms for GRUNT.
He was like dude...I'm from Schwinn & I gotta fork for ya. Ashtabula goodness w/a gusset welded in, semi rusted but new and said...place in the top 3 & I got ya.
2nd place & ol dude took me back to his house & I met a real family. Didn't know how to act, cute daughters, my lil girl dawg was humpin his retriever & I bed down.
Next day he gave me a lecture on life & bikes & stuff. Kool ol dude. He told me that fast is fast, winning is winning but... Ya gotta love your bike. Make it cooler, lighter, faster & just make sure...you really love it. All will fall in place. Keep the fork (ya didn't git it from me) & good luck lil dude. I ain't gonna turn you in but if ya need call us. Not sure why I'm spillin but I was stuck on stupid from then on. I bought parts from a BMX place long ago & gave my name for delivery purposes. The person calls me & says "Tony"??? Is that you?
Um yeah. It was him! From so long ago. Asked me what ever happened to my BMX career? Simply, I still dig it but after getting caught I changed paths & now I'm in the automotive industry & I'm still a bykepsycle FREEK.
I still build, I still ride but they locked me up for a while & I had to pursue a livelihood.
I've seen those Ashtabula forks online & wondered...how much the 1st ones would be worth? Can't even tell ya what ever happened to that Stingray (Chevorlet Marina Blue)w/a luck 7,Varsity crank,S2's f&r 36 fat spokes (cycle truck front wheels), blk gooseneck/Schwinn/Ashtabula, broken 2 spd kickback hub, Schwinn tractor rear & some ol azz knobby on the front so as to steer goin lickity split. I ran Stingray jr handlebars before Schwinn ever used um w/crossbar on the Scambler. Or maybe I just didn't know.
My first store bought bike was a Scrambler & had to put a bread loaf hurricane seat on it as low as it would go.
I've been in cahoots w/the ol timey Schwinn guys ever since . The Wastan's & even some of the upper echelon..."real ones". Enthusiast / connoisseurs. Not sure why I put it out there like that but I feel ok now. It's been a long road & I'm still diggin it.
I let some go that would blow your mind & still I appreciate what guys like you do.
Before cars & I believe long after cars we will do the "I told ya so" dance.

You guys are killing me!
Did somebody hip you these are my Favs.
I'm 55, 180 lbs, 5'10" & fit like I really shouldn't be.
The only thing I can say is maybe it's from pedaling around big azz HD's for a long long time. I was chosen from my hood by the local Schwinn bike shop to represent the "NEW" Schwinn Scrambler. The owner Denny said cuz I'd been riding a Stingray w/a fork off a 24" (paint matching) s2's front& rear...36 spoke,knobbys, varsity seat & Stingray jr handle bars.
Lucky 7 front & 16t rear cog. Painted marina blue (GM) color and as mint as the day is long. I later swapped out for a banana and then a bread loaf from a hurricane. Didn't much use the seat but in the earlier days of BMX rules were rules.
I was a runaway w/my lil doggy in the late 70's and traveled all over the mid to east coast. Running the BMX circuit & back then ya didn't need a parent's signature or...
So here I am... groin up in Detroit from a single parent fam, wanting something. Not even sure what something was. I was out there, 13 years old & in Ohio at a Schwinndig & an ol dude came up and said...dude, your lookin a lil rough. Everything OK?
Yup, I got signed in and I'm good. HIM: not what I'm talkin about lil dude, you ok?
My mind was all good & I replied: yeah, I'm worried about this cuz I got my ride hight right but I'm not sure if this fork will take it. He says, drop it down for stiffer & me: "can't" Gotta have the long crank arms for GRUNT.
He was like dude...I'm from Schwinn & I gotta fork for ya. Ashtabula goodness w/a gusset welded in, semi rusted but new and said...place in the top 3 & I got ya.
2nd place & ol dude took me back to his house & I met a real family. Didn't know how to act, cute daughters, my lil girl dawg was humpin his retriever & I bed down.
Next day he gave me a lecture on life & bikes & stuff. Kool ol dude. He told me that fast is fast, winning is winning but... Ya gotta love your bike. Make it cooler, lighter, faster & just make sure...you really love it. All will fall in place. Keep the fork (ya didn't git it from me) & good luck lil dude. I ain't gonna turn you in but if ya need call us. Not sure why I'm spillin but I was stuck on stupid from then on. I bought parts from a BMX place long ago & gave my name for delivery purposes. The person calls me & says "Tony"??? Is that you?
Um yeah. It was him! From so long ago. Asked me what ever happened to my BMX career? Simply, I still dig it but after getting caught I changed paths & now I'm in the automotive industry & I'm still a bykepsycle FREEK.
I still build, I still ride but they locked me up for a while & I had to pursue a livelihood.
I've seen those Ashtabula forks online & wondered...how much the 1st ones would be worth? Can't even tell ya what ever happened to that Stingray (Chevorlet Marina Blue)w/a luck 7,Varsity crank,S2's f&r 36 fat spokes (cycle truck front wheels), blk gooseneck/Schwinn/Ashtabula, broken 2 spd kickback hub, Schwinn tractor rear & some ol azz knobby on the front so as to steer goin lickity split. I ran Stingray jr handlebars before Schwinn ever used um w/crossbar on the Scambler. Or maybe I just didn't know.
My first store bought bike was a Scrambler & had to put a bread loaf hurricane seat on it as low as it would go.
I've been in cahoots w/the ol timey Schwinn guys ever since . The Wastan's & even some of the upper echelon..."real ones". Enthusiast / connoisseurs. Not sure why I put it out there like that but I feel ok now. It's been a long road & I'm still diggin it.
I let some go that would blow your mind & still I appreciate what guys like you do.
Before cars & I believe long after cars we will do the "I told ya so" dance.
Wastyn's were some ol dudes in Chicago that would weld Schwinn's Koolness together. Like tandems & Paramounts, 3 wheelers and crazy stuff that John Q Public never got or even got to see. I slept w/my lil doggy Missy in the back of their building for the summer of like 77 or 8.
They would give me $20 for sweeping & lunch runs & stuff. That was alot of loot then specially for a kid,homeless & on the lamb. I actually have one of the Wastyn's chrome Schwinn Paramount's w/track math but has dropouts for derailleur instead of full track drops. He said...I might need gears someday. It's a 72. 1off copy. I rock it w/700c Avids, Phil Wood hubs, Paul brakes, Continental gatorskins, Brooks professional seat, single speed/ flip flop. I just wanna pass along info about the eara that I got to experience so ya can maybe piece it together with other info & pass along the heritage we are obsessed with

Apologies for jumping in on your thread Scambler XL, but here are a few pics of my 2002 HD. Has the SS fenders and braces, SS spokes with double wall rims, sealed BB and the armor plate chainring. Thanks for looking.
I want one of these again! .... you.
Always been a sucker for a Schwinn HD...just freakin Kool!
Nobody will play chicken with you though

Latest posts

Back