new hiawatha project...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.....I went to the long beach bike meet....I felt like a kid at toys R us =).....anyways I found a skiptooth hiawatha,unknown year also not sure if the chainwheel is the right one...it says hiawatha on brass indian head badge.... also ser# is on bottom below crank,also it has a bendix 36-13 also rims are chrome with red stripe on edge......ser#22798.........if you can tell me anything about this bike I will surely appreciate it....thanks
9kq8zs.jpg

oadxk2.jpg

10qvwo3.jpg

mm3v5.jpg

cool hiawatha. (so thats what one looks like). my guess would be late 40's or early 50's on the vintage, but that is just a guess by the frame style and the bendix redline rear wheel. sweet find!

Cant help much on the dateing but they are great bikes . not too rare where the parts are expensive . I never heard of one till I got here. They must not have been too popular in the south.I know it dosent make sense but out of the last 5 bikes I have built the Hiawatha rides the best , and they look good also. Dont think I have seen a tank on any . Maybe I live a sheltered life. Here is a shot of the one I just finished. Good score and good luck with it.

redhiawatha003.jpg

Hiawatha was the badge name for Gamble's dept. stores. Some were made by Shelby, and some by CWC. (and probably others, who knows...) ~Adam

Uncle Stretch said:
Cant help much on the dateing but they are great bikes . not too rare where the parts are expensive . I never heard of one till I got here. They must not have been too popular in the south.I know it dosent make sense but out of the last 5 bikes I have built the Hiawatha rides the best , and they look good also. Dont think I have seen a tank on any . Maybe I live a sheltered life. Here is a shot of the one I just finished. Good score and good luck with it.

redhiawatha003.jpg

wow your bike is really nice .....I was told it's a 30's hiawatha huffman made..it has the wrong rims and handlebars...

Rustinkerer said:
Hiawatha was the badge name for Gamble's dept. stores. Some were made by Shelby, and some by CWC. (and probably others, who knows...) ~Adam

thanks for the info...

Back