New military cafe cruiser: Military Presence

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is the new ride. Its a 1943 Hiawatha 26" single speed. I was going for a bid of a military theme. I always liked the felt MP, and so "Karfer" recommended that build i build a bike like the MP, "only cool." So i build this on my summer break in CA and just received it in the mail here in NY. I was a little disturbed with some of the scrathes it got with shipping, but all in all it arrived in ...... good shape. I build it to ride here at school and to and from work, so i knew it would get scratches. So of the original bike I have the: Frame, fenders, kick stand, and rear reflector. New is everything else: Forks, light, tires, wheels, shimano 3-speed hub with roller break. Adam helped me a lot on this first build and thanks to terry as well. I got some good sponsorship from College Cyclery. Let me know what you think, theres a little custom work in this, like making the 26" fenders into 24"x3" fatti-o compliant fenders.

Here are a couple build shots:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2836

MP011.jpg

MP013.jpg

MP021-1.jpg

MP026.jpg

MP027.jpg

MP007.jpg

fitting i get first post on this one. all i can say is i am a bit envious of this bike it rides very well and the fit with the 24x3 with the fenders makes for a very neat look. it twas noth'in givin you a hand with the build i had fun sorry i was not of more help but saturdays can be a bit crazy. hope you all like it and where did you take those pics it looks familiar?

a

The pictures were takin at my school here in NY, just today. The area used to be an outdoor patio, but the roof part burnt down years ago, so now they are just known as "the pillars." Did you ever make it out to my campus when you were in NY? Also, i am so embarrassed at my dumb self. I put it together in a hurry to get pictures while the sun was up, i just now notice the bars were a tiny bit off center. i just went and fixed it :oops: :oops:

WOW :shock: :shock:

Outstanding job! The Fatty-O's and the fenders look stock. I have been envisioning a bike build that looks along those lines. Fatty-O's covered in big fenders, old school paint theme (with new school colors). Awesome job my friend!

How does she ride?

jeff

Wholey ....! Karfer, thats in a tie with ur higgins for the cool factor, I like this one, Omg i love the color the tires everything is nuts. I love it.

Great lookin bike!

What exactly had to be done to the fenders to make them fit the 24"X3"s?

Dennis

superb!

my next project is gonna be of that type...

LOVE IT, expect lots of imitators...

Speaking of which, what is that fork from?

Wow

Well thank you all for the kind words, i was blown away that so many people liked it.
Yes the small size was a plus for me because i am too scared to park my bike on a campus bike rack (duh) and so with the small cafe bars and lowered front end, it makes it better for keeping it in my dorm room (i made a little "garage" behind my door, fits perfect) and riding through the halls of my building :roll: .
The forks were just some black triple tree forks, im not sure what the name brand is, perhaps "Karfer" does.

Now the 24" conversion was a bit of a pain. Basically how it worked was i squeezed the ends of the fenders in, closer to each other. How i did this was by shortening the lower fender stay, and then making a spacer for the front of the fender.
This is a picture of the "spacer" i made at the front of the fender. it is just a tube (upon closer inspection, not painted particularly well) and a longer screw holding it in, thus pushing the fender in closer to the hub. By doing this the fender doesnt get out of round, it just sits down farther on the tire. I also widened the fenders pretty good to get them to suck down the fatti-os better. The fenders are slammed down on the tires pretty good, but they say if you can fit a dollar bill through it'll clear, and heck i can fit a 5 dollar bill through mine, so it must be good :mrgreen:

MP024.jpg

MP014.jpg

MP017.jpg

MP015.jpg

If it is still unclear how i explained the fenders let me know and i can maybe get some better visual aid.

I see Karfer is doing some subliminal advertising on the fork tubes.

Great build. Mean and clean with the forks, fat tires and fenders.

Clancy

Back