New Walmart Fat Tire Bike coming in a couple weeks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a shot of my Dolomite from tonight's ride.
DSCF0244_Small.jpg

Here's a link to a 1920x1200 widescreen wallpaper version - http://shawnthompsonphotography.com/images/DSCF0244_Background.jpg
That is a cool picture even if I am sick of the snow....

So, took it out again last night in the fresh 4" of powder we got yesterday after I got out of a lovely 50 car pileup on the highway on the way home...

Had to readjust the brakes again after the staircases mucked them up. I just gotta say, I like this bike, but these are quite possible the worst disc brakes I've ever seen, and most V brakes are better than these also. Just god awfully cheap.

Dropped the PSI down to 7, was a lot better in the muck and snow, I had issues the first ride when they were at 20psi, couldn't chug through thick snow, but went over the same stuff with the tires lower.

I have a ton more traction in the snow and slop on this thing than I do on my MTB that's running 2.4 x 26 Panaracers which are pretty big compared to the average tires. Very much a different breed of bike.

Hoping to get some more fun in the snow before I strip this down and rebuild it with a better derailer, brakes, cables, etc. The paint on this is pretty man. I'm usually kind of OCD on the look of my bikes and have to change them somehow, but I havn't change anything aesthetically yet. I might pull the stickers off though, as I like that debadged clean look on my bikes.

I will be curious to see how much better the brakes get once they are totally broken in. Sometimes it's a huge difference. If they still suck, you may want to put BB7s on it.

Not sure I want to even wait, how long is the break in process usually?

Just the build quality and construction seems poor at best. The rotors already seemed to have some gouging and make a slight clicking when engaged.

I see bb7s mentioned often when upgrading, cheapest I see them is $50 a wheel, and they are mechanical. My only other experience with discs is hydro brakes.

Is there a significant difference between hydro/mech and any reason why the bb7 is the popular choice ?

BB7s are amazing for a mechanical brake. I have Juicy 7 brakes on my Yeti, and BB7s on my Intense. The BB7s stop almost as good, and I actually like the "feel" better. For that $50 you get new rotors too.

Usually it takes about 20 miles to break in a set of new pads/rotors.

BB7s are amazing for a mechanical brake. I have Juicy 7 brakes on my Yeti, and BB7s on my Intense. The BB7s stop almost as good, and I actually like the "feel" better. For that $50 you get new rotors too.

Usually it takes about 20 miles to break in a set of new pads/rotors.
Is there anything that can be done to help the break in of a new disc breaks?

Is there anything that can be done to help the break in of a new disc breaks?

Ride like the WIND!!!!

Seriously, just gotta ride, and then ride some more! On an average ride, you will have some hard stops, and some easy stops. This heating and cooling, and superheating, and cooling is what breaks in the pads/rotors.

The brakes break in when a tiny bit of the pad wears off onto the rotor.

Hmm, I got Juicy 7's on my XC bike and I like those. I just need to do some more research to see which way I need to do.

But in regards to disc sizes, am I stuck with having to do 140mm discs on the Dolomite, or is that something that changes with the caliper setup?

You can change the caliper carrier to whatever size matches the disc. I run 203mm front and 180 or 185mm rear on most of my bikes. My current Beast project will have 203mm front and rear with Hayes Hydraulics.

When I first searched for the Dolomite on Walmart.com they were 249.00, now theyre 299.00. Im going to wait till they drop down to at least the orig price of 249.00 before I throw my coinage at it.

You might be waiting awhile. I was thinking the same about getting a Beast last year. I missed the Black Friday sale, and that was really the only time they dropped from the $200ish price for the next 5 months, until they sold out and weren't available anymore.

Pacific Cycles will sell one direct as well, and apparently the first day they let some go at $219, but I called later in the day, and was quoted $239 as they are not allowed to sell for cheaper than the retailers. You can maybe try going direct to them, but if Wallys changed the price, Pacific may have as well.

@blown240 The caliper carrier I assume is the mounting bracket to attach to the frame, and I would have to change that to change to a different size disc? That would mean any caliper should work? provided its not the cassette style disc hub?

@blown240 The caliper carrier I assume is the mounting bracket to attach to the frame, and I would have to change that to change to a different size disc? That would mean any caliper should work? provided its not the cassette style disc hub?
You can buy adapters to bolt on to the mounts to move the calliper to where it needs to be on the bigger disc.

Luke.

Any caliper should work. The mount goes between the frame and the caliper. They are sized and shaped for front/rear and size.

You might be waiting awhile. I was thinking the same about getting a Beast last year. I missed the Black Friday sale, and that was really the only time they dropped from the $200ish price for the next 5 months, until they sold out and weren't available anymore.

In my experience they don't change the price much, if at all, on bikes in the fall after Thanksgiving or during winter. The price dancing goes on mainly in the spring and summer.

They raised the price AGAIN!!!

Dolomite is now $349!

Not really a good deal anymore when bikes direct is supposed to have a $4-500 offering soon.

Ouch $350!
So glad I jumped on the $225 price, Pretty sure I would have definitely gotten a BD fat bike if the Mongoose was $350. I think that's abit high, $300 is fair and probably more in line with what the market will dictate the price to be.

I have a nicer Motobecane XC bike from BD, and its top notch quality.

Maybe someone hacked the website. $125 price increase? AND still out of stock? I wouldn't buy this for $349 either. Bikes direct would be getting my money if I had to do it all over again. Like baldy said...$300 is a fair price for this bike....nothing more. I'm guessing they are testing the public reaction to all the different prices so they can figure out a price to stick with. This bike created all the fuss because it was originally suppose to be a $300 geared fat bike with disc brakes that nobody believed could happen.

Wal*mart...spend more...live on a tighter budget.

Back