New Walmart Fat Tire Bike coming in a couple weeks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the matte black on that BD bike may fit this site's typical users, but I can't stand something so boring ;p
My 2nd Dolomite should be here tomorrow.

Bikesdirect couldn't deliver by the time I go on vacation, and the first few rides were good enough, so I ordered a second for her. I'll probably try and flip at least 1 of these after the trip, and upgrade to something else fat not sure what yet tho.

But quite honestly, X4 components and tektro mechs on that $500 BD bike don't exactly do it for me. I can build up a Dolomite with BB7s, convert to 1x9, drill my wheels, replace my cockpit, probably get really close to the weight there, and still have less invested than $500. I'd also rather have the 190mm rear dropouts on the Mongoose vs 170 on the BD also..

The Dolomite is actually very nice(minus the brakes) and well worth more than the asking price of $300. I have ridden, and do have bikes that retailed for over $2k, so its not like I have no experience with a quality bike..

Thats an interesting point of view, and you make some good points. I think if the Dolomite drops below $300 then its a no brainer. If it stays at $300, then its going to depend on what the specific rider and what they are looking for.

Lots of stuff about the Gravity and Motobecane fats over on mtbr in fat bikes. Apparently the Motobecane design is a knock off of a fat from Norway/Australia. The designer of the Norway bikes chimes in a lot in that thread. The bikesdirect.com fats are not getting as much dis as the walmart geese got over there in that same forum.
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/moto-bikes-direct-fatbikes-875900.html

A guy down the hall at work has a bikes direct motobecane fat bike. Not a bad bike. The one oddity that really stands out is the rims. 2 lines of holes in the front rim, 1 row of larger holes in the rear rim. The more recent, lower priced bikes direct models don't have those mismatched rims. FYI, those drilled double layer rims just invite water and dirt to build up in between the layers. Fat rims collect plenty of snow as it is, why create extra nooks and crannies for dirt that you can't clean out easily. The rotating mass of the rims is so small compared to the tires there is little point in drilling them. ride through water and you will pick up a pound of h20 for the duration.
IMO, most of the shimano ders function about the same so nitpicking over those is pointless.

I ordered the Comp, which best I can tell has the same size wheel front and back. The higher Elite has the wider wheel on front with two rows of holes. The narrower wheel on the back is for chain line clearance if I'm not totally mistaken. The Elite is more like the Norway bike - at least according to what I'm reading it that thread. Thanks for your insight!

Massif :
Fun little bike it gets alot of attention as well
03/29/2014
Its a bit heavy but i expected that with the fat tires and rims . It shifts well stops well , and is kinda Nimble as i road it around my friends bike shop for fun before going out in the street . For me i added a bigger seat post and may up grade the handle bars later .
I already been asked where i have bought it from just with it being in the back of my truck at the convenience store and at a stop light . Over all its a fun and different bike to cruse around with .
Id buy another one just because .

I built my boys and his buddies last night. They are definitely cool! And heavy.

d4fca58a44c8bafb11537d9c363b89d1_zps8822c3ec.jpg

Sold my Dolomite today for $300. No April Fools!
I rode it twice since I bought it. It was a lot of fun to ride on the snow, but it was not being used enough and I couldn't stand to see it in the garage just sitting there not being used.

Back to $349.97.

And.....I'm guessing they will be in stock for quite a while with that price.
Now of course I saw that price on April 1st so it could of been an April fools joke by Walmart or someone hacking their website.

It was actually set at $299 last night. Sometime after midnight they changed the price.

It makes me wonder if their system isn't set to automatically raise the price once inventory gets to a certain level.

Seems goofy though since it's Walmart and they have the buying power to order thousands of the things.

There are 2 Dolomites being delivered to my house this afternoon. My buddy ordered them for his boys on tuesday and they are already getting delivered. He was able to get them at $299 each.

Wasn't there another store besides ToyRUs (Dozer) that was carrying Beast clones?

ALCO stores have the Brutus on sale for 249, and the Massif for 197 till the 13th. In store only from what I can figure...if the Massif was larger I'd be all over it for that price, as you get multispeed and discs..

Sooooo...
IF any of you guys buy one of these...
... and it comes with THESE tires...

... IF you decide to upgrade "right out of the box" to a more agressive tire...
... I would Definately be interested in buying your "UNUSED / New As Pulled" stock tires!!!
(1 or 2 pair needed here)

Talk Soon!
Blessings!
Will & Wendy,

Latest posts

Back