Newbie seat post slipping....Huffy Cranbrook

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Huffy Cranbrook that I have stripped the fenders and chainguard off and added 25 inch ape hangers to. This is my first cruiser that I have some what ratted and I'm excited! I have one problem with the bike, the seat post slips all the way down. Its so low that when I ride my calfs hit the back of my legs! Anybody have any suggestions? I'm a big guy 6'4 and 360 lbs.....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IF the clamp is as tight as possible and it doesn't help, this might be a butcher-esque idea, but how about put the seat where you want it, drill a hole through the seat tube and seat post and put a pin in it, either something quick release or just a bolt and nut.

Good deal another Huffy rider on here!

Im diggin' your user name too.(good movie)

im sure a fella of your size is getting the bolt tight enough, so my best idea would be to sleeve the post so it cant slide. other idea would be drill through seattube and post, then run a bolt through them both. before you do either, wait till someone else gives an opinion on my ideas. dont wanna steer you wrong.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please understand that I'm a newbie so try not to laugh at my questions....Lol I guess I will drill the seat post. I guess it cant go any lower than the bolt will let it! Also what do I need to know about a springer front end on my bike? I'm clueless....I'm wanting one but I dont know where to start with the size I need and how much it will lower my ride!

a cranbrook has a 1" threaded headset on it so any springer for 26" tires that comes in 1" threaded steerer tube should work. A straight springer shouldn't drop your ride too much but a bent springer will but it will ride worse, and at your size, I would stick with a straight springer.
This bike started life as a cranbrook also, anything is possible :D

IMG_2416-1.jpg

somehow , i missed your post, youthguy, or i wouldnt have repeated it. :oops: i thought it was kinda butch also, but would probably work. then welding was mentioned, i cant remember if the cranny is steel or aluminum. guess you could get a seatpost of either and weld it anyway. thats probably the best and safest idea.

KJV said:
get it set the height you want..
then weld in place. :idea:
no no mo! cause then years from now, when someone tries to restore this bike, theyll find out you welded it, and be completly f'ed cause its welded. known from experience :mrgreen:

X-RAY said:
somehow , i missed your post, youthguy, or i wouldnt have repeated it. :oops: i thought it was kinda butch also, but would probably work. then welding was mentioned, i cant remember if the cranny is steel or aluminum. guess you could get a seatpost of either and weld it anyway. thats probably the best and safest idea.

No worries on the repeat, great minds and all that.

Cranny is steel, so it will weld, but even though I have a welder and I can get weld happy, I'd rather drill and pin it than weld.

Thanks for all the help. You guys will probably see me floating around here in these forums! I just found this website and might I say it is AWESOME! Ride hard my friends.....

Also, does anyone know off the top of their head how many teeth are on the sprocket of the Huffy Cranbrook? I didn't know if I could change it and make it easier to peddle!

punisher0822 said:
Also, does anyone know off the top of their head how many teeth are on the sprocket of the Huffy Cranbrook? I didn't know if I could change it and make it easier to peddle!

Don't know the number of teeth, but I'm pretty sure it's a 1 piece crank, so a new chainring should be easy.

STOP! before you weld it, take the seatpost to your local bike shop and replace it with an alloy one. If the shop is any good you caneven bring the bike in and they'll make sure the seatpost and the frame match. An alloy seatpost will be lighter, just as strong, grip in the frame better and probably be longer than the stock one. 8)

KJV said:

the sprocket is 44t,
change it to a 36t;

this will make hills easier.

Also if you have an even number of teeth you can get grinder happy and give it a skip-tooth look, Not a Cranbrook but a Santa Fe 2 is very close.

P8190073.jpg

PA210156.jpg

suggestion on the post issue...

aluminum posts will almost always stick when clamped... if yours is steel with chrome on it... try rubbing it in the sand a little or use a light rasp to scruff it up... not sure that this is a proper bike technique but it has worked for me many many times.

DHrider said:
suggestion on the post issue...

aluminum posts will almost always stick when clamped... if yours is steel with chrome on it... try rubbing it in the sand a little or use a light rasp to scruff it up... not sure that this is a proper bike technique but it has worked for me many many times.

That is good advice. After I replied to "pin" the post I also thought it would help to use a center punch to mark up the post so it would grab better in the tube.

Latest posts

Back