Newbie seat post slipping....Huffy Cranbrook

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJV said:
still say weld it.
best bet by far !

the sprocket is 44t,
change it to a 36t;
this will make hills easier.

curious..how will this make hills easier?
can u do this to any sprocket and still use the stock chain?

roland365 said:
curious..how will this make hills easier?
can u do this to any sprocket and still use the stock chain?

Changing the chainring (front) to less teeth (smaller diameter) changes you gear ratio making it lower, like a low gear in a car. Your feet will move the pedals around more, but it will be easier pedalling.

Drilling the post is actually a fairly common method with a long history, I would recommend it over welding, as it is easily undone.If you're going to start changing gear ratios, get a chain tool so you can lengthen or shorten the chain as needed. Lowering gears is usually fairly trouble free, other than lowering your speed capabilities. Raising them can sometimes create complications with chain alignment due to the combination of longer chain increasing the effect of slack, and the increased load requirements to move the pedals causing more flex, thus an increased possibility of the chain "shifting" off the rear sprocket. Pardon the long post, maybe someday I'll write a book. :roll: :lol:

I do believe the Cranbrook has either a 44 or 48 tooth WIDE CHAIN chainring (ie not a derailleur chain). It is the standardest standard one speed sized 1piece crankset, Wald-style. Almost any non old Schwinn 1pcs crank will fit it. I've had great success with Pacific bmx cranks, lots of them are 7inch (175mm) cranks with NARROW CHAIN chainwheels, perfect if you wanna go to a multi-speed rimset with derailleurs.

Thanks again for all the input thus far. Where is the best place to find the springer front fork? How do I know what size I need?

Back