Newbie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, Found this site actually through bikeforums.net, asking about ammo-can panniers (and seeing that WICKED "army" bike in the RRBO). Been lurking around here lately, fascinated by what you guys are doing. Anyway, I'm building a "custom" for my girlfriend, and thought I could get some good ideas here. (When I say "custom" - it's getting a fresh coat of semi-gloss, flames, and custom grips and seat). Anyway, a bit about me:

I've been into bikes since I was 5 and got my first 2 wheeler - still have it. Got out of it in college, gained 50 lbs through beer and midnight pizza runs, and am now working on getting back into shape through commuting and the like. I'm really into cars, especially oldsmobiles, and race an 83 delta 88 (Olds 425, TH200-4R) personally.

In the bike stable, I've got three "real" bikes, and two parts bikes. At the moment, the "real" bikes consist of:

My grandfather's bike - early 80's Free Spirit 3 speed - my mint grocery getter
My girlfriend's bike - a God-knows-what Western Flyer 3 speed - the neverending project
My current commuter - 1979 Raleigh Professional.

The parts bikes are a relatively new Roadmaster MTB (ick) and an 80's girl's Huffy road bike that I brought home just for the wheels and tires.

Especially proud of the Raleigh - got it (with all the Campy parts and original wheels) for $10 at a thrift store.

Anyway, I'm hoping to keep my collection growing - there's an incredibly rusty tanker that's hanging at a perpetual garage sale around here that I'm hoping to snag this weekend (although the light lenses are broken out). That thing is going to need some SERIOUS missionary work...

WELCOME & HELLO!Carefull those sucker's can multiply on ya! :lol: :lol: (I'm not joking!) :wink:
L8 EM

Thanks everyone. I'll try to get photos of the WF - the paint is done except for the flames. Just have to get the new handlebars on and the seat...

vinnie_sixgun said:
Welcome aboard! i want to see pics of what you do for your girl. i'm gonna be building a cruser for my fiance but she's 6ft tall and wants to be "comfortable" so i can't build what i would like to... hahaha
6ft tall?!? Get her a stretched cruiser! Or maybe you can buy my Chief.. that will fit her perfect..lol

Actually, i kinda skipped over the 6 ft tall thing - my girl is 5'10" - that's why I'm building her a more traditional "english" 3 speed - it's upright enough to get some decent leg extension and power, but comfy enough to just cruise around.

mickey85 said:
Actually, i kinda skipped over the 6 ft tall thing - my girl is 5'10" - that's why I'm building her a more traditional "english" 3 speed - it's upright enough to get some decent leg extension and power, but comfy enough to just cruise around.
That sounds like a good idea. Are you considering the schwinn Breeze or Collegiate?

I had thought of those, but I have this one, and it's free...

I do need a new 3 speed rear wheel though.

Back