Nexus rear hub info

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one have any info on Nexus internal geared rear hubs? Good Bad,4 6 7 speed, do you have one for sale?
Thanks Dave

i know 4's were discontitnued a while back (i may have a couple). 3's and 7's seem to be the most popular and 8s seem to be gaining too. i would think a 3 speed would do fine for most cruisers.

The three's are really good unless you do some unusual riding /climbing hills. The 4 has been discontinued. It has 3 and 4 really geared close. Have to run a super small front sprocket .I havent seen a 6 but have had several 7's and they kick b. The hubs are state of the art...easy to work on if your not intimidated by lots of stuff. The centers will swap out all in one piece. Sealed so you really dont have to do much unless you hit an old really grimy nasty one. then just pull the inside out and soak in mineral spirits ...blow it dry ...relube and stick it back together. :wink: Piece of cake.

3 spd's are best for a cruiser and a very simple setup. As CCR the 4 was discontinued, which was a good thing as it's lowest gear was direct drive.

I have a 7spd coaster brake that I came on an Electra Deluxe. They are probably too many gears for cruiser and the cost is much higher. The 8spd's and Alfine hubs have some great reviews, but again the cost and too many gears. Plus these hubs make flat tires a little harder to change. 3 speed Nexus is much easier for flat repair. All the 3 speed are coaster brakes, the 7's may have a coaster brake, but they may have a roller brake which requires a cable and brake lever. Nexus 8 and Alfine are all roller brake.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shimano-nexus.html

my lbs has a 3 spd internal gear attached to a 8 speed cassette, making it a 24 speed (sorta) all in the rear wheel. dont know the model but it was an sram hub.

if you are looking for gears for a cruiser, what I would do is look, buy a girls cruiser that has the 3 spd Nexus cheap, part it out for the wheel set, the girls you can usually get fairly cheap, cheaper than you can buy just the hub for, that way you have everything you need, shifter, etc, that is what I do, just my 2 cents

olschbp said:
if you are looking for gears for a cruiser, what I would do is look, buy a girls cruiser that has the 3 spd Nexus cheap, part it out for the wheel set, the girls you can usually get fairly cheap, cheaper than you can buy just the hub for, that way you have everything you need, shifter, etc, that is what I do, just my 2 cents

Never thought of this. Good info.

Great info thanks ! I am building a tall bike two frames welded together and would like the hub for it.
Dave

I was going to add a 3-speed coaster brake hub to my current build but someone over on the Freak Bike Nation forum said that the hub for a 3-speed wheel would be too wide. Does anyone have a Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub? I'd like to know how wide they are.

If you're looking for a cool set of red rims that already have the 3-speed hub in them, check out these bad boys.

W967RedFamily.jpg

Hmmm... I found some specs for a Inter-3 3-speed hub on the Shimano site. According the list, the "Over Lock-nut" Dimensions are 120/127.4/126.7. I don't know why there are 3 listed, maybe because there are 3 different 3-speed hubs... I know there is an auto-d version.

I have never heard of the Over Lock-nut Dimension but according to the venerable Sheldon Brown Bicycle Glossary:

It's the distance between the outermost locknuts of a conventional hub axle, or whatever equivalent parts fit against the inside surfaces of the fork ends of a frame. They must match the spacing (see chart) of the frame that the wheels are to be installed in.

And here's a nifty pic:
old.jpg

So, doing a little metric-to-english conversions, that specs listed mean I need about 4.72" to 5" between my rear dropouts for one to fit. Does that sound about right?

No, it actually came with it. I got the hub in a trade with a forum member named Klunker. It was in the box of parts and i thought it looked cool, so I put it on.

Turns out the Nexus rear hub is going to be too wide for my custom chopper. I've only got 100mm or so between the insides or the rear dropouts and the 3-speed hub I was going to get needs about 127mm. Crying shame too, since I found a 3-speed hub with shifter and hardware for $69.99. :cry:

I just measured mine and it is only 120mm. You probably would be able to spead the dropouts by at least 10mm if not 20mm. I'm pretty sure mine were close to 100mm before spreading them. It is tight and it took some muscle and patience, but it works. So I'd say for $69 give it a shot!

Unless it is aluminum, your should be able to spread any steel frame. You can use Sheldon Brown's instructions or get two 2x4's about 4 feet in length. Place against the dropouts with about 3 feet sticking out the back. Have a friend help you spread them nice and evenly.

Yeah, luckily the old bikes are pretty soft steel, metallurgy wasn't that good yet. I usually just step on the seat and chainstay with each foot of one side while pulling up on the opposite ones with each hand, then check the alignment by running a string from one dropout up around the head tube and back to the other dropout and checking the distance from either side to the seat tube. I've got a Nexus 7 in my 49 Schwinn, so that was almost an inch spread as I recall.

IMG_0784.jpg

The 7's are wide huh? I put one in my Rollfast and man you will be widening (is that a word?) them quiet a bit. :shock:

Latest posts

Back