"Opportunity Knocks"...(minor updates)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: World Tourist aka "Project Gender Bender"

im stealing this whole bike idea as soon as i get a welder, its just perfect

gcrank1 said:
I like the lines you got on that frame mod.
snydur said:
im stealing this whole bike idea as soon as i get a welder, its just perfect
Thanks! I might be sacrificing more girl bikes to the gods in the future! It turned out exactly what I had on paper, but the visual impact is awesome. It looks way better in person than I could've expected. I can't wait to wrap it up...but, we're getting our much overdue snow. so, looks like a December ride might be out of the question :(

Santa, or, as I call her "Darlene" was good to me this Christmas!
IMG-20111226-00187.jpg

Got the Nirve headlight I wanted, the layback seatpost and the Avenir seat...and, HOLY crap is this a nice seat!!
IMG-20111226-00184.jpg

IMG-20111226-00183.jpg

IMG-20111226-00188.jpg

Very well made! It was on amazon for just under $40 for the white/black, and there was a VERY nice brown leather version on there for just under $30 at the time I made my wish list. What a great mother-in-law!
Now....gotta get over to my parents' place to retrieve my bike and bring it home to finish it up!

Did a little more to it tonight. Made a foot for the kickstand out of an old door knob and got the rear fender arch a bit more even...
IMG-20111228-00196.jpg

IMG-20111228-00197.jpg

Putting off the body work for another night. But, I'd have to call this the final mockup before tear-down.

Went with Red Oxide for a more vintage look. Really like how it looks with the whitewalls and the white seat!
IMG-20120103-00205.jpg

IMG-20120103-00204.jpg

IMG-20120103-00203.jpg

Here's the new placement of the head badge. and a look at the door knob (don't ask me why...I just liked how it looked)
IMG-20120103-00206.jpg

I wanted a clean look from behind. So, I didn't want to mount a reflector and have it sticking out or up, or hanging down...so, I put it on the bottom of my kickstand foot
IMG-20120103-00207.jpg

Still some more to do...but we're getting there!

Re: World Tourist aka "Project Gender Bender" (new pics)

I liked the Tourist's original crank, so, it's staying
IMG-20120104-00212.jpg

Here's my hi-tech way to lock the crank so I can use a coaster brake...I know, I know, you're thinking "how many hours did it take to engineer such an elaborate mechanism?!?"
IMG-20120104-00213.jpg

Here's a shot of the bike with the crank
IMG-20120104-00209.jpg

Plus, I'm giving this bike an "official" name. On account of how I acquired it, how I used what I had to make a cool men's bike, and the door knob details. It is now officially dubbed "Opportunity Knocks"

Re: "Opportunity Knocks" (former World Tourist) IT'S ALIVE!!!

Just put the chain on and tightened the axle nuts...took it for a spin around the corner. Still waiting on the decals, but this baby is up and officially running!!!
D.O.B.= 1/8/12 @ 11:40pm CST
I'll post pics soon...off to bed I go ;)

Re: "Opportunity Knocks" (former World Tourist) IT'S ALIVE!!!

Looking good.

Most of my first rides happen after 10 pm too.

Re: "Opportunity Knocks" IT'S ALIVE!!! (more pics)

Thanks for all of the positive feedback!! It means a lot to me since this is my first cut and weld project. Here are some pics of the ALMOST finished bike. Had to switch out the rear fender brackets for a little more clearance and scratched the paint a little when I drilled out the rivets :( , but that should be an easy touch up. Ran a triple stripe down the top tube and over the fender and got the badge in it's permanent location.
IMG-20120109-00221.jpg

IMG-20120109-00220.jpg

IMG-20120109-00219.jpg

I've never ridden a bike with the seat laid back like this and the low bars, but it's actually pretty comfortable for my 6'4" frame. And it seems like a pretty good ratio on the gears for cruisin'! Another thing I should point out in the pictures is the lack of snow! This is northern MN and we had close to 24" on the ground at this time last year!! It was in the 40's today, and if it keeps up, I'll have nice clear roads for some January rides! I'll post some more pics when I get the decals from my buddy.

Re: "Opportunity Knocks" IT'S ALIVE!!! (more pics)

What happened to the really nice "stingray" like curved pieces that was part of the original drawing? I thought those were a really nice touch.

Back