"Orange County Rat Chop-Suey" Update 9-12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Orange County Rat Chop-Suey" Finished

if you are using a straight post find a wood dowel that is almost the same iner diamiter and pound it into the post. the wood will act as a shock absorber. i have done this trick on wald posts used on customer's schwinns when they want to have the seat high up and were bending posts all the time

karfer67 said:
if you are using a straight post find a wood dowel that is almost the same iner diamiter and pound it into the post. the wood will act as a shock absorber. i have done this trick on wald posts used on customer's schwinns when they want to have the seat high up and were bending posts all the time

Thank you!!! Excellent idea!!!

The layback post is still bent beyond repair, but if I get a second one, I will definitely try this. Thank you again!

How about bracing it in a way to match your head stock bracing? Sorry to keep jumpin in with sugestions but i just love this cycle lol!

that might work but it will still want to bend where the tube comes out of the frame. having a lay back post on that frame means the post will already be layed back when it comes out of the frame. thats why it wants to bend

karfer67 said:
that might work but it will still want to bend where the tube comes out of the frame. having a lay back post on that frame means the post will already be layed back when it comes out of the frame. thats why it wants to bend

Exactly, it would need "sissy" bars to keep the seat held up. It's just too long of a post to be at that angle.

However, I'm going ride it tomorrow with the straight post, and will try the dowel trick when I get a good post again.

Re: "Orange County Rat Chop-Suey" Hub woes!

Bad news: I was riding the bike home yesterday, and the rear hub decided it didn't want to work in 3rd or 5th gear anymore. And 4th and 6th have been really noisy/buzzy since it was new. I checked the adjustment, but only in 3rd and 5th it clunks and jams (still freewheels, but can't pedal) until I roll it backwards and shift it to another gear. Once I realized what was going on, I buzzed home in 4th.

Just throwing that out there for you guys considering using one of these, I am not going to bad-mouth Sunrace/Sturmey and say the hubs are crap. But I have inquired about an RMA since the hub is only a month old and has less than 30 miles on it. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Hopefully their customer service can handle it quickly.

And geez, looks like I'm going to have to rebuild that rear wheel again. *sigh* :cry:

:( Bad news mate hope they [customer service] turn out helpfull! you must have the patience of a saint just to resign yourself to yet another wheel build with such calm! Respect is due :)

I had never heard of these hubs before [total newbie] and have been very interested in them and the cool way they work ....or not! :(

Thanks, Boris. This will be I think my 3rd or 4th time building it. It's really a brilliant design, I get asked about it everywhere I go. I really want it to work.

Here's the auto-generated reply I got from Sunrace/Sturmey-Archer:

Hello and Thank you for contacting Sunrace Sturmey Archer.

There is currently only one person in the US to answer all info e-mails as well as phone calls. Reply time can be up to two weeks as a result.

If you are interested in information pertaining to the S3X and future release date or details on the project please check our blog at http://www.sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com . All details will be posted to the blog as they become available.

If you are interested in obtaining Sturmey Archer hubs and or spare parts for current hubs please check the following:

http://sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.c ... etail.html

If you are looking for vintage parts we unfortunately do not manufacture parts for hubs pre 2000. Although all of the exterior fittings from our current hubs will work on most older hubs. Parts such as shifters, axle nuts, indicator chains, etc, will fit most vintage 3 and 5 speed hubs.

Thank you for contacting Sunrace Sturmey Archer.

[email protected]

707-259-6700

Up to two weeks? Ugh.

Update: I pulled the rear wheel last night, and I discovered that it actually jams in 3rd, 5th, 7th AND 8th gears. So I've only got 4 lower gears left, and with one month until the MS tour, it's not looking good that I'll be able to ride the chopper in it.

I still have not heard back from Sunrace/Sturmey, you guys will know as soon as I hear from them.

UPDATE!

Heard back from Sturmey, I'm very excited about this...

Hello Jeff,

I can most certainly help you out.

We did have some problems with some of the 8 speed hubs. First I need
to know which 8 speed hub you have. Do you have the old version or the
new wide ratio version? You can tell if it is the wide ratio because
there will be a "W" after the XRD8 on the hubshell.

Once I know that I will be able to help further. Are you very
mechanically inclined? Do you work on your own bike? The reason I ask
is if you do not I would prefer that any work that may be done to your
hub be done by a bike shop because they will have the proper tools.

Let me know.

David Prosser
[email protected]

(P) 1-707-259-6700

http://www.sunrace.com
http://www.sturmey-archer.com
http://www.sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com

I will keep everyone posted!

Well, I heard back again, and I'm glad it's going to be resolved quickly. They're going to send me new internals for the hub. I was hoping for a whole hub RMA, but I'll take what I can get. Here's what I got back:

Hello Jeff,

Get back to me with your shipping address and I will send out a new
internal. All you will have to do is disassemble the non driveside
(remove locknuts and cones) and then thread the entire drive cartridge
out. Then replace the drive cartridge and reassemble the non
driveside. I will send a spanner wrench but I will need you to send it
back with the bad cartridge. I will include a return shipping label
for both.

David Prosser
[email protected]

I know it's not a straight RMA for the whole hub, but you know what this means??

I DON'T HAVE TO REBUILD THE WHEEL!! :shock: Yay!

Re: "Orange County Rat Chop-Suey" Hub woes! Update 9-1

thats awesome! even letting you borrow a spanner. :D so are the guts free?

Re: "Orange County Rat Chop-Suey" Hub woes! Update 9-1

Yay!!! Got the parts, got the tool, and did the gear swap tonight.

10716_1216600451066_1110486501_30668949_4408033_n.jpg

10716_1216600491067_1110486501_30668950_5108108_n.jpg

Is this the bike you're going to ride in the MS 150? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the date; so you rode in the October 09 tour in LA? Did you post an update somewhere?

Slammy said:
Is this the bike you're going to ride in the MS 150? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the date; so you rode in the October 09 tour in LA? Did you post an update somewhere?

I did ride this bike in the tour in '09, and it was called for rain on the second day. I still made it 114 miles. Planning on doing the whole 150 this year! I've got a better seat, and a lower gear. Different pedals, too. Everything else is the same.

Link:
MS Bike Tour, Riding the Chopper 150 miles!

Thats AWESOME!! Nice bike, like the paint scheme!
Eventually I'd like to upgrade my rear hub and wheel. It's a little diffcult to push the pedals backward and clip out at the same time which is why I added the disc brake to the front.
Nice work.

Latest posts

Back