(ORBO) Rock Soup...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put any heat on these frame parts yet oh "talkative" one?

Not yet. Put in the order for the uprights and top cross pieces Friday, so hopefully they'll have those chopped for me tomorrow. So far the butcher's bill stands at about $275 for the basic cage, and I'm figuring it'll take that much again to finish up the back plate and the tube holding fixtures, which if I can get away with this for $600-700 or I'm a very happy camper- the cheapest quality jig I've seen for sale commercially opened up at over $2k for both a frame and fork jig, which this will also double as. So while it hurts right now, in the long run I'm WAY ahead of the game.

F6NXF7DF8RP7ZYD.LARGE.jpg

FSUAJWZF8RP7ZYA.LARGE.jpg

This set up has the axle fixed and the offset slides at the 90* angle plates, mine would be slightly different in that in that the corner will be fixed and the axle will slide up and down on the uprights.

These were about the cheapest I found that seemed to be of professional quality at an 'entry level' price was from Brew-

9444214_orig.jpg

$1675 for the basic unit and

s838010030319381813_p51_i1_w640.jpeg

$845 for the fork jig.

Plus about $200 shipping. Super high quality looking stuff, built to survive the apocalypse, but man oh man that's one heck of a barrier to entry :)

Yeah, and, yours will kind of be custom fit for your purposes. It will provide a great foundation for future builds / modifications on frames! Good investment!

Selfishly stepped away from the lathe for a few minutes (thanks to all of you have jumped in on the bar ends, you're financing this :)) to assemble the cage. And holy cajoles, sucker is rigid! expected to have get a little more structure in it- inside corner braces, the wide plats to serve as feet, the back plate etc before it really tightened up but man-o-man this sucker is bombproof with just 8 bolts- and dead square.

_20160126_130050.jpg

4cbe784d-7570-4c3d-bb37-cbb1d7de8218.jpg

Lightweight however it's not. Remember back in the 70's they'd put a handle on a 19" TV and call it portable? Or cell phones so huge it looked like you were carrying the Nuclear Football? Yeah, it's that kind of portable. Rings in at just shy of 50 pounds! They make a lightweight version of this stuff (same price interestingly though it uses much less aluminum due to thinner walls) and I think in the future (or for anyone thinking of duplicating this themselves) I'd use that. I sourced these bits from the remnants bin (also the same price lol) so I took what they had rather than wait for a S/O to arrive but this stuff is so beefy it's WAY, WAY overkill for this project.

Didn't get a pic from the top, but those are two individual 1.5" rails, with a 1.5" gap in between them so that when I bolt 1/4" plates to the inside of the gap 'magically' they are exactly 1" apart, with just happens to be the same size as Schwinn frame tubing. It's almost as if I planned ahead or something ;)

Sadly addictions are an ugly thing. Unless by updates a '77 Competition Scrambler counts. Or the '81 Spitfire 24". Or the NOS '95 ENF that arrived today and the NOS '05 sting that arrives next week. And the '96 1/2 Pro Modified cruiser I'm drooling over for the following week. All good news, but postpones the rebuilding of the pivoting bandsaw I picked up for pipe cutting :)

Latest posts

Back