Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true but for me the thrill of the hunt is over... I've found one. I've owned one. I've restored one. I'd rather have cool bikes I can ride and enjoy comfortably than have a piece of eye candy just hanging on the wall to brag about and make other collectors jealous. Don't get me wrong I love having a Mini Twinn in my collection and it's huge bragging rights but I never ride it so it doesn't get seen and appreciated as it should. I have not yet owned a Black Phantom or Red Phantom and restoring them to their former glory would to me bring just as much joy as it did when I restored the Mini Twinn and additional joy from being able to ride and show off my work. Not to mention the storage factor. Tandems take up a lot of space and the two Phantoms could be hung up on the bike hooks. I guess I'm talking myself into this deal... But maybe that's a good thing.
ben their looking at buying a downer bike wright now. but I know if I bought it. I would not have the hart. to strip it for the Schwinn parts I need. so I would just fix it up. when cool pops up it's hard to resist taking it home.
Sounds like you're in a similar boat to mine. I've got a ton of frames and parts I need to use up, so I can hurry up and scale down the collection.
🤣 what's this scale down you speak of? I never heard of it.

how cool is that, Most of us get those type of "Finds" from outside in the world, you've gone as far as the other side of the room LOL, thats Gold bro!
Ivr gone as far as to find whole bikes I forgot I owned till I clean out the storage and find it again.

Phantoms came out in 1949, according to the history page. So the silver bike is a prewar Schwinn, but a different model. Still worth getting by a long shot.

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/phantom/
Would that make the silver one a B6 model? I searched around a bit and this blue 1941 B6 is the only one I could find with this style dropout and the right features.
Screenshot_20230325-104649~2.png
97e3dbcb1c45fb63aebc640cd9cb510a--antique-bicycles-riding-bikes.jpg

Would that make the silver one a B6 model? I searched around a bit and this blue 1941 B6 is the only one I could find with this style dropout and the right features.
View attachment 227180View attachment 227183
It's pre 46 for sure, but the serial number will get the year and from there the model can be checked. It may be one of several models from back then that have a springer. Here's a 1939 Autocycle Deluxe:

1679816912025.png

So got postponed till Thursday. I did get the unit cleaned out and halfway presentable and got a few things moved around to make getting the Mini Twinn out easier. I'm gonna miss it but I am stoked to finally cross a Phantom off my bucket list. I feel like both the Phantom and Mini Twinn are milestone bikes for a collector. Kinda like getting your first Stingray or your first skiptooth cruiser. I have crossed many things off my bicycle bucket list and look forward to 3 more achievements before I can say my collection is complete.

Tandem✔️
Tandem trike✔️
Recumbent trike (conventional)✔️
Recumbent trike (tadpole) ✔️
Hutch ✔️
Mini Twinn ✔️
First 1940's bike ✔️
First 1930's bike✔️
First 1990's BMX✔️
First 1980's BMX✔️
First 1970's BMX✔️
First Stingray✔️
First Fastback✔️
First Fatbike✔️
First Tank bike✔️
First build requiring welding✔️
First ground up build✔️
First Phantom
First RRBBO winner
1937 Elgin Bluebird

Postponed again... Gonna try for next week sometime. Hopefully all goes well but I'm not holding my breath. Normally in my experience this is when the deal goes off the rails. Oh well we'll see what happens.

So the Phantom deal might still be going on this weekend or next week sometime but I found something else that I may be buying in the mean time that blew my mind. I don't want to say too much and tip my hand just yet but I'll make an announcement on that if I end up getting it. I'll know for sure tomorrow morning first thing. Say a prayer for me and wish me luck.

I won!!!!

I paid a bit more than I really wanted to but I am really excited to add this beautiful bike to my collection.

So what did I buy? @Wildcat

You really want to see?

I'm not exactly sure what it is but I'm thinking late teens to mid 1920's Iver Johnson or Crown arch-bar / Truss bridge style frame. Whatever it is it's awesome and going to make a sweet build. If I am correct that makes this my oldest bike and my first 100 year old bike.

Also a question I noticed that the fork doesn't have a slot to put the wheel only a hole... Can I just hit that with the grinder and make it into a slot? How did they put the wheel on this style bike stretch the fork or was there a different style of wheel back then?
Screenshot_20230402-033802.png
Screenshot_20230402-033817.png
Screenshot_20230402-033805.png
Screenshot_20230402-033841.png

Last edited:
That's a great bike frame. No rust or bad pitting. The fork has no slots because I read where they assembled the front hub into the fork. I've never done that but it seems like a complicated way of putting the wheel on, but it wouldn't fall off for sure.
That's earlier than any of my expertise on bikes. The serial number area needs cleaned off more probably for the real experts to name and date the bike.

So I was talking to a bike friend and telling him about my new find and he says speaking of new finds I found something for you... Long story short he knows I have the Mini Twinn and he found me a seat!!! So I'm buying that too.
Screenshot_20230402-145245.png
Screenshot_20230402-145250.png

Got a few things in from eBay today to put into inventory. First up I got these sweet white torpedo grips which will probably go on the Columbia Arch-bar.
Screenshot_20230411-221027.png
not the correct badge for my frame but the price was right and it will serve as a temporary till I can find a correct one then this will become a wall hanger.
Screenshot_20230405-111027.png

As a grips seller, when I see grips for sale for under $11 a pair with free shipping, I simply cannot understand how they do it. Shipping from coast to coast alone is $5- $6. The molding cost would have to be cents each to be worth it. My molding costs are more than their asking price. Makes me wonder.

There must be a way that online resellers are getting steep discounts on shipping. I order from a site that offers free shipping on orders over $39. I often throw in extra grips or tubes or whatever so I hit the $39. Then I receive a large package that I know would cost me over $15 to ship. I ship from the UPS store. What is the cheapest way to ship a package?

As a grips seller, when I see grips for sale for under $11 a pair with free shipping, I simply cannot understand how they do it. Shipping from coast to coast alone is $5- $6. The molding cost would have to be cents each to be worth it. My molding costs are more than their asking price. Makes me wonder.
Molding by the thousands in China, Vietnam, Turkey, India, etc......... probably buying resin by the rail car full so it's under $0.25 per set assuming 1/4 to 1/2 lb shot size

Global economy

Right. They are nice grips too and feel soft so we'll see how well they hold up. They do have the look I'm going for. Could it be a possibility that these sellers are writing off shipping as a business expense on their taxes? Are they allowed to do that? I know some businesses can write off certain things. Just curious because I don't see how they do it either but I'm certainly not complaining about the low prices although I try to support American small business when I can and if I receive good customer service I always do repeat business and give good feedback every time. Lots of great sellers on there I've done business with. I have even had some sellers take a loss to make things right even after I had left good feedback and the product broke weeks later. I now check his page first when I shop for stuff.

Latest posts

Back