P40- SHE'S AWOL!!! Now Showing X-52.5 aka Plan B

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I missed a lot of progress this past weekend on your build Big guy! In @horsefarmer 's comment those lights are reflecting a thought that came to me when I saw your mock up with the rack and fender and filler panel. First off, love the filler panel....def a keeper! The curve of the fender leaving the slant of the rear rack lost me a bit....any way to have the rear fender tie in with the slant of the rear rack....and maybe duck tail down at the bottom? Like the bags do on this Indian bagger....
Custom Indian bagger 2.jpg

You've got some great stuff going on this build!

Wow, I missed a lot of progress this past weekend on your build Big guy! In @horsefarmer 's comment those lights are reflecting a thought that came to me when I saw your mock up with the rack and fender and filler panel. First off, love the filler panel....def a keeper! The curve of the fender leaving the slant of the rear rack lost me a bit....any way to have the rear fender tie in with the slant of the rear rack....and maybe duck tail down at the bottom? Like the bags do on this Indian bagger....View attachment 23808

You've got some great stuff going on this build!

Thanks, I had thought a bit about bobbing the fender........but your idea may be better. I hate to cut up this fairly rare deep rear fender but I want the finished product to flow nice.

I like that fork mount!
If you notch the spring to fit, I would make the change back to full width gradual, otherwise you will get a stress build up at the change and could bend the spring quite easily, especially if it is right at the edge of the mount that the change happens.

Luke.
I like your input Luke! I do think I will do a second leaf and bring it out of the mount about 3" and grind it to a point, that should help relieve the stress where the main leaf is notched and look pretty cool too. I just hate the idea of drilling 4 mounting holes in 2 leaf springs!!! I might burn up a bit or two!

Thanks Horsefarmer, but those are too mini. I want about 1/2 size of the caddy light. I like the ideas though......something will click, I hope.......

These aren't as long proportionately, but this is a 2" beehive (diameter and height). They also come in 2.5".

upload_2016-5-9_18-31-37.png

Nice metal fab man!

Working on this bike is going a little slower than I hoped, but I can show some of the parts and plans that I have for it. I don't know what they are off of, but I got some cool od green tires from @Toeslider . I matched them with a blacked out 3 speed wheel set I had sitting around.

index.php

index.php

They are a narrow 2.35 but I think they fit this build nicely.

I started mocking up the front end. I just made some rockers from some thin aluminum scrap that I laying around.
IMG_2026.JPG

I think that I may set the front end just a bit lower, but this is close to how it will sit. I am leaning towards the leaf being about 12" from tip to tip.

IMG_2027.JPG

Rockers look real classy, huh! Still have some more design and fab work too get done...

Here are my assorted doodads that I have acquired for this build.

IMG_2029.JPG

I am fairly sure that all of these will make it on the finished bike. I plan to recover the seat to better match this build.

IMG_2028.JPG

I got this from a coworker, there should be plenty of material, even if I have to try a few times!

I have had a plan to use this chain guard all along. I like that it is very silimar in shape to a bomb!

IMG_2031.JPG

This is just a quick mock up. I plan to match it closely to the chain stays, I think that will make the angle more nose high, hopefully similar to the tank panel. Here is a sneak peak of my plans for the chain guard.

IMG_2033.JPG

As you can tell, this was a quick rendition of my idea for the guard. I probably need to round the fins a little, so I don't do bodily harm to myself when getting on or off.

Here are my assorted doodads that I have acquired for this build.

View attachment 23974

I am fairly sure that all of these will make it on the finished bike. I plan to recover the seat to better match this build.

View attachment 23975

I got this from a coworker, there should be plenty of material, even if I have to try a few times!
I like those twin lights, a lot.
I have had a plan to use this chain guard all along. I like that it is very silimar in shape to a bomb!

View attachment 23976
This is just a quick mock up. I plan to match it closely to the chain stays, I think that will make the angle more nose high, hopefully similar to the tank panel. Here is a sneak peak of my plans for the chain guard.

View attachment 23977

As you can tell, this was a quick rendition of my idea for the guard. I probably need to round the fins a little, so I don't do bodily harm to myself when getting on or off.
I have the same guard, originally planned to use it on Air Force Too with the shark mouth paint job.

Yeah, one light still had the fin in it but it had a piece missing, the other one was gone. I will have to make up my owns fins.

It's fun watching this build unfold. I especially like the goodies and that guard idea is killer. Just be careful if you used sharpie markers for the markup. I've heard of the ghosts of the writing bleeding back through paint even if you have removed them with acetone.

It's fun watching this build unfold. I especially like the goodies and that guard idea is killer. Just be careful if you used sharpie markers for the markup. I've heard of the ghosts of the writing bleeding back through paint even if you have removed them with acetone.

Good information, I never really thought about that. So, should I go back and sand the metal to remove all of the marker?

That chain guard is the bomb! You could always trim the size of the fins down a bit to avoid lacerations on your achilles. Build is looking good!

Back