Paint job experience

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to share some info on a paint job that I just did on a Marin Drake's Beach aluminum framed bike.

Caveat: I have NO idea how this paint job will hold up over time.
My goal was to use my HVLP touch-up gun and paint the bike (fenders,too) with a durable paint and without a paint booth and without needing to buy a bunch of nasty chemicals.

I prepped with Rustoleum Sandable primer and sealed the primer with Duplicolor Primer/Sealer (this step was because the next paint layer was going to be water-based.) I then sprayed 2 coats of Auto-Air Colors Dark sealer and then Auto-Air Colors Black Opaque water-based paint. This paint needs to be clear coated

Clean up of the spray equipment is soap and water.

Next day, I sprayed (with a good respirator) two coats of SprayMax 2K Rapid urethane Clear Coat from a special two-part aerosol can (the slow dry stuff should have greater durability but it remains tacky for too long for my situation). The downside is that a can of this stuff is about $20 and has a 24 hour life once activated but, it is easy, convenient, and no equipment clean up.

The results were great. Lots of gloss and depth and hopefully, good durability.

I also prepped and painted an old fender with a Rustoleum rattle can paint and clear coated it as a test to see if there would be a reaction between the paints. The fender came out beautifully and it can be sanded and buffed if necessary.

I realize this is not a professional paint job and there will be detractors, but for a DIY guy this seems to be a decent way to go. I will be buying more SprayMax 2K Clear coat...

DW

I am working on figuring out how to get the photos embedded...

RG- The Auto-Air waterbased paint sprays pretty nice. It definitely is only a basecoat and needs to be clear coated. I did not have a problem, but if you have run or sag, you can literally hose it off and start again.

Just finishing a paint job with auto air. 1.8 tip in a cheap air gun and it sprays out of the bottle. A quart of 2k urethane is so much cheaper than the pre canned stuff. and only slightly harder to clean up. I have a HF purple gun special just for the clear. I went in to get some of the 2k auto paint in a spray can and they told me the can was $15. $12 and I have fairly usable for many coats gun.

If you have a few coats of clear on it and there are no nibs, runs, or orange peel that need dealt with, not really any need to sand it down and polish.
Don't know about the products since I'm a PPG guy, so don't know how well it will or won't hold up. Time will tell though.

water base paints are supose to make pearls and thngs pop more,they take longer to go off tan conventioal paint,they are dreat for the pro body shop but i would have some reservations for home use,rustolium is better than it use to be since they put more dryer in it,if your gonna use it for your base i would wait a minimum of a week for it to cure,if you dont you will always have a soft base,which sealer wont help,for the home user[me]i use all lac base with hardned clear as my final,just me after 55 yrs of doin it and have the copd to prove it!!!!!

Back