Paint Questions???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been readin and admiring the gallery for some time now and i just realized WHY AM I NOT A MEMBER!! this is a awesome community with insanely sick bikes! thanks for all the insiration everyone! i know intros are incouraged so here it goes...my names justin, im 22, i like rat rods, lead sleds, stripes and beer. im a painter by trade, mostly with urethanes and epoxys. which leads me to my next question. so i got one of those schwinn occ stingrays (lame i know, but i dont know how wo weld so i cant frankenstein my own build...boo me). my friends dad owns a fab shop so hes goin to help me cut it up. like all the unnecessary stuff. i wanna make it into a old school bobber: red rims, flat black, pin-up graffics, fat white wall, suicide shifter, mexican serape seat, brass knuckle pedals, 25'' ape hangers, ect. So i was wonderin if a white epoxy spray paint would hold up better as a primer than the usual enamal primer?? any input would is greatly appreciated.

Duuude.. YOUR'E the painter.. lol. Just bustin' your chops. I am sure someone here can answer your question. Welcome!

Doesn't matter what you paint it with, it's gonna get scratched. That is, unless you follow the Rat Rod Bike methodology:

1 bike/120 total hours riding, 1 person, per year = 12 scratches on 1 bike

12 bikes/120 total hours riding, 1 person, per year=1 scratch per bike

24 bikes/120 total hours riding, 1 person, per year=only 1 scratch on every other bike

science rocks...

If your plan is to keep the bike straight primer, my experience is an epoxy primer with hold up long than an enamel primer.
BUT, to get it to last as long as it can, you first need to strip all paint, dirt and grease off. We have been sand blasting frames
then wiping them down with alcohol then priming. When you remove it down to bare metal your primer has a better base to stick to.
If your just going to spray a primer right on your dirty bike the paint is going to have a different reaction in different areas.
Paint on oily spots that haven't been properly cleaned will lead to flaking or bubbling or even beading if (it's really greasy).
Epoxy tends to cover better than your average primer but never the less it is best to have a clean bare metal base to start with.
Regardless of the type of primer. Hope this helps.

Dr. S

hah yeah i know im a painter but im not sure what would hold up best on chrome. im on a tite budget but thinkin bout havin it powder coated (my friends got a friend). i sanded it with a 600 grid, wiped it with tack cloth, then wiped it with a laquer rag, then sprayed a little epoxy on the seat post to see how it would hold up, gave it a little ding/drop test and it scratched pretty easily. not sure what to do now??? thanks to all for the replies!

also i want to white wall the tires. is there any special paint for rubber??

thesuicideride said:
hah yeah i know im a painter but im not sure what would hold up best on chrome. im on a tite budget but thinkin bout havin it powder coated (my friends got a friend). i sanded it with a 600 grid, wiped it with tack cloth, then wiped it with a laquer rag, then sprayed a little epoxy on the seat post to see how it would hold up, gave it a little ding/drop test and it scratched pretty easily. not sure what to do now??? thanks to all for the replies!

also i want to white wall the tires. is there any special paint for rubber??
why not just buy white wall tires? you probably can get some for a little less than 20 bucks

its got the fat rear tire on the occ shwinn stingray. ive searched a little for one with white walls but no results. plenty of replacements tho.

alright so i sand blasted the frame, got some auto etch primer, primed the whole thing in multiple light coats, let it fully cure, then finish coated it with krylon flat black. once i fully finished the final coat i realized i use the satin flat black rather than the enamel. ****! is this going to be worse? i know ether way ill get scratches but will this even hold up?

okay........if you want it to hold up and have a suede look........
option #1
sand with 80 until the chrome is dead.......etch prime after that...then primer surfacer.....then 180....then epoxy primer(the only reason why i said follow the etch with surfacer is according to ppg youre not supposed to use theyre dplfs over there wash primers) and call it good.....
or option #2....
sand chrome with 80 until chrome is dead...then follow it with a metal prep(dx 579) and red scuff pad........then hit it with the dplf 90...

Back