painting a 40's hercules

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have my grandpas very old hercules and i want to paint it i've never painted a bike and i was wondering if any one could give me some advice. also i wanted to know the best way to paint on pin stripes and i need some one to re paint on the words "sports model" back on the bike

My best piece of advice....take...your....time.
Are you sure it needs repainting? Post some pics, you'd AMAZED at what time and grime can hide.

If afterwards, you decide to repaint, before you do, TRACE THE OLD DECALS! Did I mention, take...your....time?

I'll let other folks chime in on paint technique, my method is horribly tedious... :roll:
I suggest browsing the How-To Manual on painting:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=249689#p249689

eBay link to Hercules decals.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hercules-Bicycl...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4aad91e593

mine doesn't have any decals and i'd like to keep it that way it has hand painted pinstripes and is just says sports model

I'm sure I will be shortly corrected, but I think the original painted letters were probably screen printed. You might be able to get a graphics place to do it for you.

My worthless advice...

Try to restore the original paint the best you can...the way it was when your Gramps had it.

Its only original ONCE.

I picked up a Robin Hood bike from the trash, a 67 model, and the black paint came back very nicely after a scrubbing with soap and water, followed by three coats of wax. Most of the English lightweights are/were black. If it's a different color, that's even better because it's rarer. I would ageree with others that the original paint may be the way to go.You may be able to find the manufacture date of the bike on the rear hub, 3 speed? The year will be in 2 small digits on the hub shell, the month may be there also. Probably a Sturmey Archer hub. Does the Hercules badge on the headtube say Nottingham or Birmingham? Pics would be a big help also.

I had a red Phillips with the rod-operated brakes. It was extremely dull and faded. I pulled it out of a dumpster and it didn't look too rusted. Just very faded. You'd be surprised what rubbing compound did for it. But stay away from scrren printings with that compound. I'd try bringing back the old paint first. Then look into getting the graphics handled

That bike was from the 30's and someone didn't care about it enough to keep it out of a dumpster. I'd imagine yours is in a little better shape

Latest posts

Back