painting info

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok after i have my base coat on and I mask off the other areas to paint...after i paint the 2nd color to i wait for it to 100% dry before i take off the tape or do i just wait for it to tack up a little,,I want clean lines but don,t wanna pull off my 2nd color.
help..

i usually wait til its 100% dry.

if you touch your paint while its tacky, it will leave prints in the finish.

as long as you havent loaded the paint on, the tape shouldnt oull any up.

It might depend on the thickness of the coat. If it's thin enough the tape should pull off cleanly. If for any reason you had to put on a little extra and let it dry completely, when removing the tape you might get some extra wide chunks that dried over the tape and stay connected to the unmasked portion after the tape is removed.

If you get it right the first time and applied the paint economically, it might be best to let it dry. If you're not sure and end up having some extra coats on there, pull the tape carefully before it dries completely and have an exacto knife ready to trim the excess as it's pulled away from the base coat. It should be easy to keep the line when you have the tape and knife together. If the coat was thin enough, it won't be necessary.

Let it dry. For two reasons. Pulling up tape before the paint is dry can cause it to lift areas that may still be wet or not completely dry.
Don't layer the paint on too heavy. if you try to cover it all in one coat your gonna have build up along the tape edges. also when the tape get extra wet it may seep under it and you'll get bleed marks. if your pin striping it hides most of that. Take your time. A few light coats will give you cleanness. dust the paint on let it dry and repeat until your happy. Let each coat dry completely. This will assure you have even drying and coverage. Also be sure your tape is applied flat as you can possibly get it to also avoid bleeds.

Hope this helps.

Dr. S

i pull mine while its still drying, i just try to pull the tape off at a 45' angle towards the wet side, done fine for me.

Back