painting over chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, duplicolor makes a product called adhesion promoter, you can probably buy it at most auto parts stores. It was original made for painting candy paint over a chrome surface to give a anodized effect. The stuff works very well over clean chrome. I have used it to paint the centers on a set of chrome reverse wheels and the paint is still on them 8+ years later.

Yes rusty I saw that at the auto store. Wondering if there was a chemical difference or is it just etching primer without color???

I don't know what the difference is, but I know a lot of people who spray the promoter then the etching primer, then the base coat.
Not sure if it matters if both are used or not.

Bought some Dupli-color adhesion promotor to try on the chrome rims. Defiantly have to pay extra attention as you spray since there is no color. Did 3 coats 3 minutes apart as per instructions then top coated 8 minutes later
(can says within 10 minutes) with a Rustoleum satin. Will let you know how it all works.

Latest posts

Back