Pair of old ones

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked these up yesterday off of CL. Not exactly sure what I have here. Seems a Pullman is somewhat rare? Difficult to find net info on it. I'm guessing 1939 or 40??? If anyone has a pick of a more complete one, or thoughts on age, I'd appreciate it.

011-9.jpg

012-5.jpg

013-6.jpg

015-5.jpg

Had to buy them as a pair. Probably gave too much for this one, but it sure has a great patina. And the first bike I've had with curved fender/tray braces. Sure wish it had the front fender. I'm guessing this one to be a little older? Any guesses?

Thanks for lookin........

002-16.jpg

003-15.jpg

004-12.jpg

005-9.jpg

006-12.jpg

My guess is you have two prewar bikes with postwar springers added on. Take some PVC cleaner to the Schwinn, you might be able to save the original paint.

I should have known! I emailed that guy Sunday night and he said he already had solid asking price offers on both. He was trying to get me to offer him more money for them. Told him if someone had already beat me to them, then fair is fair. I'd rather keep my good CL karma! Great scores!

Nice score!

The Pullman is a Schwinn Moto-Balloon and is likely 1935-1936, the crankset looks original and may be stamped AS with a date. The girl’s Western Flyer is Cleveland Welding built and from between late 1940 and early 1942. Both of the forks are versions of the Cleveland Welding Shockmaster springer. The fork on the girl’s bike is prewar (tubular fork blades, forged swan crown) and is original to the bike. The one on the Schwinn has been added and is postwar (flat forged blades, box crown) and early (1947-1949). The later postwar Shockmasters have barrel springs and the lower truss rods protrude to the sides or forward.

Although rusty, the girl’s bike is very original and complete minus the chainguard and rear drop stand. The Schwinn is less so, I believe only the frame. crankset, and seatpost are likely original to the bike.

Great bikes, if you don’t mind posting or PM'ing the serial number on the girl’s WF it would be a useful addition to my Cleveland Welding Database and I could date the bike closer from it.

rms37 said:
Great bikes, if you don’t mind posting or PM'ing the serial number on the girl’s WF it would be a useful addition to my Cleveland Welding Database and I could date the bike closer from it.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Serial #: H53403

Thanks for the serial number!

I have recorded 3 very similar bikes with H serial numbers. The frame on your bike first appears in the 1941 Cleveland Welding Roadmaster catalog but the first of the 1941 spec. bikes would have been built in the summer and fall of 1940 for back-to-school and Christmas 1940 sales. Using the model I have built from the serial numbers I have collected, I would guess your bike was likely produced in the fall of 1940. If the bike had a J or K serial number I would expect it was built during the 1941 calendar year.

Two versions of that frame were produced for a short time after the war (late 1945/1946) but they do not have the integral drop-out tangs and mounting holes for a drop stand.

Latest posts

Back