Pass the oven cleaner, please: Western Flyer X-53 (well, mostly)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Recent find, in as-found condition:
IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2013.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

This one came with it. I may try and use some odds and ends off it.

IMG_2004.JPG

Definitely sticking with the frame, tank, and rack/crash bars. (Edit: Yes, the rack-on-a-rack has to go. I may go pick that off right now as it sits in the garage lol.) I have been reading up on methods of removing spray bomb abuse while leaving the original paint. I think it's a bad sign that the tank flaked easily to bare metal in a few spots (unless it's a section where the tank was chrome. Hmmm, need to do more research), but I hope to uncover some saveable paint/patina. The color scheme will help me determine year, as well as the Murray serial number database on the Cabe.

I am thinking that correct springer forks for this thing are unobtainium, so I'd be happy to get a hold of any vintage springer that would look close to correct. Same goes for the guard; this is one of those no-name Schwinn knockoffs that is so incongruous with this bike that it's killing me. And as cool as the Monark light and fender are, I want to swap them out for something a little less heavy-looking. The headbadge seems to be wrong too, but it's the right brand and it's cool enough that I can run with it.

As for all the other incorrect bits and pieces (crank/sprocket, rear fender-to-rack hardware and reflector, the plethora of headlights, et cetera), well, it should be interesting to just pick away at them little by little as I find stuff that looks more correct.

Dang I want to ride this thing.

Love it. Killer score with the deep monark fenders too

Recent find, in as-found condition:
View attachment 279468

View attachment 279469

View attachment 279470

View attachment 279471

View attachment 279472

View attachment 279473

View attachment 279474

View attachment 279475

View attachment 279476

View attachment 279477

This one came with it. I may try and use some odds and ends off it.

View attachment 279478

Definitely sticking with the frame, tank, and rack/crash bars. (Edit: Yes, the rack-on-a-rack has to go. I may go pick that off right now as it sits in the garage lol.) I have been reading up on methods of removing spray bomb abuse while leaving the original paint. I think it's a bad sign that the tank flaked easily to bare metal in a few spots (unless it's a section where the tank was chrome. Hmmm, need to do more research), but I hope to uncover some saveable paint/patina. The color scheme will help me determine year, as well as the Murray serial number database on the Cabe.

I am thinking that correct springer forks for this thing are unobtainium, so I'd be happy to get a hold of any vintage springer that would look close to correct. Same goes for the guard; this is one of those no-name Schwinn knockoffs that is so incongruous with this bike that it's killing me. And as cool as the Monark light and fender are, I want to swap them out for something a little less heavy-looking. The headbadge seems to be wrong too, but it's the right brand and it's cool enough that I can run with it.

As for all the other incorrect bits and pieces (crank/sprocket, rear fender-to-rack hardware and reflector, the plethora of headlights, et cetera), well, it should be interesting to just pick away at them little by little as I find stuff that looks more correct.

Dang I want to ride this thing.
So jelly, but happy for you on your acquisition…😁

Latest posts

Back