Pedal design help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Objective: To make a pedal body of my own design without re-engineering "the pedal."
Requierments: Either a dimensioned drawing of the internals from a proven design. Or an existing pedal that is "rebuildable" that I can use the internals from.
Why should you help? Heck, if it works out I could make pedals for everyone (at a cost of course).

I haven't been to the local bike shops yet. I'm hoping to go soon. I thought I'd post here to see what kind of info I can get. Manufacturing the parts is not a concern. As long as they don't require casting or any fancy tooling. Thanks in advance for any help.    

I have access to manual and cnc machinery (I can run both). I was hoping not to have to do any heat treatment. Also I'd like to make the pedal axle out of mild steel instead of the usuall cro-moly. I'd prefer to find an inexpensive rebuildable pedal (~$20) and use those parts. Something like the Crank Brothers 5050 but at a Wellgo price. It's only for cruising. I think I'll have to buy a few Wellgo styles and check them out?

If you are not going to heat treat the races then I would suggest setting them up where you could press in the races from a salvage set of pedals. If the races are not hardened then the hardened bearings will chew the softer races down in no time, leaving a set of pedals with a bunch of play in them.

could you do sealed bearings on the cheap? im sure skateboard bearings would be too big, but i bet there is something out there for cheap that would work...Ill do some research

Back