Pedal disassembly?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
These pedals are in great shape, and I want to polish them, but I can't get to the inside axle shell. If I could remove the black blocks I could do it. Has anyone ever done this? It looks like those ends are pressed in a "crinkle" pattern to prevent them from coming loose.

L6lgfs.jpg

Old Pedals! Most of em starting in the 50's had a no-rebuild design.
Not sure why, but cost is the usual suspect. In the end, if you like a certain pedal like these above, then you either have to secure an almost new pair, or NOS, which still wiggle around. If you want something rebuildable, you need
to go with Torrington or Schwinn. They made pedals for mechanics, and are
completely rebuildable.
IMG_2165_zps68562179.jpg

There are not a lot around, especially the past few years. The reason is that they are rebuildable and adjustable with cones and locknuts and high quality steel made in USA. The spindles are also easily straightened if bent. Bottom line is you will have a hard time with the older non-rebuild pedals of the 1950's-today...Not sure, but there must be a high quality rubber block long pedal that someone produces today? cmon ratters, who knows the answer to this?

They aren't rubber block, but these are my favorite currently-produced 1/2" overhaul-able pedals on the market right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0036...5_QL70&qid=1413989285&sr=8-10#ref=mp_s_a_1_10

If anyone does know of any overhaul-able rubber block (especially bow-style!) pedals currently in production I'd love to know too. I've put in quite a bit of time searching but never found anything.

And from my experience even some Schwinn pedals were not overhaul-able. My Corvette's were, my wife's Co-Ed's were not. My Concord New-Yorker (Japanese brand frome the 80's) also had some sweet overhaulable rubber blocks.

Someone posted how to take those types apart years ago. He did a great job and reused the tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mornview asked "If anyone does know of any overhaul-able rubber block (especially bow-style!) pedals currently in production I'd love to know too. I've put in quite a bit of time searching but never found anything". "And from my experience even some Schwinn pedals were not overhaul-able. My Corvette's were, my wife's Co-Ed's were not. My Concord New-Yorker (Japanese brand frome the 80's) also had some sweet overhaulable rubber blocks.[/QUOTE]

Reply........
Schwinn made a bow-style "large cap" rebuildable pedal on middleweight bikes....The telltale large cap on the pedal end was remove-able giving you access to at least maintaining the axle, bearings, cones and cups. I don't believe though you could take apart the rubber block cage. I could be wrong here. Beware though, many of these newer or similar "bow" style pedals do not have large cap ends, look similar, but are not rebuild-ble. Yes, again, many inferior but newer Schwinn pedals were not serviceable, just the older, heavy, longer deluxe style ballooner pedals which are so sought after...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back