TRADITIONAL Pensioner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to shave off a little of the shim to get the stem tight enough. I went out for a ride and everything is still working!

27 May 24 test.jpg

I've got a chrome rear rack that needs some adjustment to fit but that's my next endeavor on this build. I'll try for the look this has:

81030-rrd-social.png

I needed to bend the supports on the rack to get the right height. Those are solid rods, although the rack is thin tube, like a sissy bar. It took some grunt with the pipebender to get them bent.
27 May 24 rack c.jpg

The rack looked too short on there, so I thought about one of the sissy bars I have.

27 May 24 rack b.jpg

Just some tweaking and it should fit right on there.

27 May 24 rack a.jpg

"Is that where I ride?" It looks like the rack is going to be used for passengers so it needed to be raised to clear the tire and have a pad added. I used the other rack I have since I already bent the first set of braces.

For a rider's weight it needed to be bolted to the braces instead of using the cheap brackets it came with. I also had to go back to the regular seatpost, the laid back stem wouldn't get tight enough.
28 May 24 e.jpg

Then one of the pads I used on my twin banana seat on Bamboozle goes right on the rack. I also gave a banana seat a look.
28 May 24 d.jpg

28 May 24 c.jpg

A a set of footpegs hold the braces on the rear axle.
28 May 24 b.jpg

Just my opinion, but I think the sissy bar rack looks much better as a rack or a stylistic element. To me, the rack saddle detracts from the coolness. Again, just my gut feel opinion.

I'm with Kingfish; The sissy bar looks better as a rack than a seat. Plus, I'm not sure I'd trust that seat to not collapse under the weight of an adult. If it was directly attached to the frame at all points, maybe, but it's bolted onto the already bolted-on brackets. It just looks like if any of those bolts fail, or if the braces bend, or even if the passenger leans back too far, it could all go horribly wrong.

I agree. Also adding the weight of a passenger on an already heavy bike with a one speed coaster would take out all the fun for the one pedaling.

The two chrome tubes look good almost like dual exhaust pipes.

Everything is always worth a mockup though. You never know until you try.
I seriously like the sissy bar rack though. Maybe even do a test with it below the top of the tire along the line of the RustRocketDeLuxe auction bike from ages ago.

1716863934370.png

Everything is always worth a mockup though. You never know until you try.
I seriously like the sissy bar rack though. Maybe even do a test with it below the top of the tire along the line of the RustRocketDeLuxe auction bike from ages ago.

View attachment 267396
That was my original idea. The bars need spread apart to fit over the tire, and the thin metal might kink, maybe I can put a spacer or two at the seat collar to keep the long straight tube look.

The seat is history.
I did some more bending, on both the sissy bar and the supports.
28 May 24 rack5.jpg
28 May 24 rack5.jpg
28 May 24 rack4.jpg
28 May 24 rack3.jpg

I've got enough width now. The supports may need a little more bend to lower the rack a little more. I can reverse the supports and have them bow backwards but I think bowing forward may look better. I'll do a comparison tomorrow.
28 May 24 rack.jpg

YES YES YES!!! Loving that!!
Great flow with the curved brace too!

I tried a few things with the rack.

1. Supports facing forward:
29 May 24 c.jpg

2. Supports facing rearward:
29 May 24 e.jpg

3. Rack lowered in line with the topbar:
29 May 24 d.jpg

The third one may need supports made up, and I have another sissy bar that can be cut up so the supports match the other chrome tubing, like on the springer.

I made a video to show the rack but it also shows how well a chinese coaster hub can roll if overhauled when new. This hub has no play in it.

I like number 3

I agree. Would it look better with a straight brace or more curvature added to the ones I have already?

Thanks for the inputs.
I think setting it low with a straight brace will do the trick. If I use the first hole in the bar for mounting, the brace will be parellel to the head tube and seat tube of the frame. The rack will be in line with the top tube so it should look fairly even.
29 May 24 b copy.jpg

Back