Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC

Yo Tank, any updates on this beauty?

Not really, been a little sidetracked lately with family and car stuff.
I have worked a little on the rockers and springer mount, but nothing to show.

Got those fenders you tipped me off to on their way, worked on restoring a long spring saddle for it, bought some alternate handlebars, drilled the frame in case I decided to route the cabling internally, bought a new 3-speed SA hub, another vintage SW speedo,started restoring a tractor headlight with an H7 LED bulb, designed some graphics for it and found a cool shifter idea to steal.

Guess I have done some work on it after all. :mrgreen:

I STILL NEED TO GET THE FRAMES WELDED TOGETHER!! UUGGHH!!
I just have to take it DonOne's house and can't find the time to get over there.

Still looking for a 13/16" laid back seatpost, the angle of the seat tube makes using a vintage 'lucky 7' impractical. An old school BMX one (without the brace) is at about a 45 degree angle, that should be perfect. But, good luck finding one in my size that not big $$$$

Trust me, this build is still alive, just sleeping...... :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

So I disappear for an entire month and there´s no update on your build Doc? I´m not sure if I can deal with this... :lol:

Yeah Gdcast, been a little pre-occupied. That and $140+ for the hub depleted my funds for a minute or two. Hopefully, I can sell some stuff soon so I can pay the welder.

Have no fear, this bike consumes more of my free brainwaves than I 'd like to admit. :roll:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Have no fear, this bike consumes more of my free brainwaves than I 'd like to admit. :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Doc, just read this. very interesting build. looks good so far. waiting for more.

Outlaw 8)

I picked the frame(s) up from DonOne last night. Since the OCC portion is chrome, I decided to get both halves sandblasted prior to them getting welded together.

Also, the build is taking an unexpected, but AWESOME, turn. More details coming on that front soon (probably about 2 weeks). I'm so psyched about this new direction. But, I do have a build in line in front of it now, so in typical Dr. T fashion, this is going to continue to be a 'slow go'.

Cheers for now,
Dr. T

Stay tuned for more dramatic twists and turns in the Soap Opera saga of "Tanks of Our Lives". :p

Looking forward to the new twist!!!

Tell me!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
It`s gonna be a couple of weeks,but I can say it will be nothing like any American builder has done on this site.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
It`s gonna be a couple of weeks,but I can say it will be nothing like any American builder has done on this site.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Are you getting some of those sick fat tire parts that I have seen from Europe???

You go Doc! Don´t tell a thing, just shock us with those pics!!! :lol: :lol:

kingfish254 said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Are you getting some of those sick fat tire parts that I have seen from Europe???

Well, parts ARE coming from Europe (along with beer and sausages, hint hint), but not a wide front rim, at least not yet.......... :roll:

I do plan on getting a super wide front rim, hopefully 80mm, then I need to find a hub that is either a drum brake or a freewheel that I can thread a scooter brake onto. This baby is going be low and fat, just like me!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Well, progress has slowed a bit due to a Deck/Master bath/Powder room remodel and what free 'bike time' I do find is going toward the 'Tybee Siren'.

I did manage to get the frame(s) sandblasted and remove the OCC seat post clamp, still need to have them welded. I'm struggling with removing the canti bosses, the Dremel just won't fit...so I need to get creative on those.

I did buy myself a pre-Father's gift though. It's one of the Japanese drum brake hubs on eBay. So, it looks like I'll be running drums front and back (weren't they an option on the Phantoms?)
!Bp-lEmgBmk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEuZvVe,q6BLtvc1)KQQ~~_12.JPG

!Bp-lEwgB2k~$(KGrHqQOKiIEu,YCfrdJBLtvc3M6yQ~~_12.JPG

!Bp-lE9g!mk~$(KGrHgoOKi!EjlLmI81IBLtvc4rMNg~~_12.JPG

Anyone have experience with these units. To be honest, I'm not overly concerned with how well they stop the bike. I foresee this build being my 'cruisin' bike, slow and low (that is the tempo).

That's about it for now, thanks for hangin'

Cheers,
Dr. T

You don't have much time left on Siren!!!

Those drums are beastie!!!!!!!! Gonna look cool on your phantom!!

I'm keeping an eye on this build.

marvin.jpg

Latest posts

Back