Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC - now the 'Zündapp Phantom'

Wicked cool forks and wicked cool bier. What more could you ask for?

This is the best idea I've seen. I would love to try a build like this I have some ideas floating around.

Thanks Vinny, this idea has been 'rolling' around in my head for years. It's inspired HEAVILY by modern chopper frames, like this one.

Smokin_Gun650.jpg

I've got a bunch of cool parts bought for this bike that will remain 'under the covers' until I'm able to get back to it.

Unfortunately, I've got 4-5 bikes that need serviced/designed/restored/built before I can get back to this one.

But have no fear, it will come together. Which reminds me, does anyone have a 22.2mm fork they'd like to donate? Balloon, middleweight, lightweight, it doesn't matter. I need the steer tube only.

Cheers,
Dr. T

ARRRRGH!!! It's killing me, the waiting. Awesome bike so far, that fork is the bee's knees!!

Re: Phantom of the OCC - Ignaz was NOT impressed

Well, the Zündapp fork just wasn't 'right' for this bike.
Granted, it is cool, but it is a little too upright which brought the front tire too close to the BB.
It WILL be used.......someday.

So, OK Doc, then what's your plan?
Well, like I said in my original post, this one will make the Schwinn purists cringe. I needed to push the front wheel forward, so how about a 'Schwinn-style' springer? Good idea, but would the current design of these forks (whether isn't an inexpensive eBay fork or a not so inexpensive unit from Nirve or Felt) work? meh.
I remembered that the springers from the late 40s - earlier 50s had an offset on the steer tube and the legs didn't bolt straight through them (like on a Krate), they had a bracket on the legs that the bolt went through. AH HA! That's it, I'll start searching for one.....

Now, enter the Tin Machine.
I've always admired the bikes that Tin Machine has (either for sale or in his collection). So I reached out to him to keep a look out for one of these types of springers. You guessed it! Within a week, I had just the fork I need. I'll spare you the details, but let me say 'for the record' TM is one of the best guys I've had an opportunity to exchange emails and ideas with, let alone, purchase parts from. He is just a great guy, if I make it to Tallahassee or if you make it to Atlanta buddy, the beverages are on me!

OK, I'll shut up now and get to the updated pics.

front 3/4 shot:
DSCF3678.jpg

See how it kicks that front wheel out?
DSCF3679.jpg

Bonus #1, a 24 x 3 Fatti-O fits without ANY fork mods!
DSCF3682.jpg

Bonus #2, now a 175mm crankset will fit (probably going with a 160mm unit though)
DSCF3683.jpg

Bonus #3, my favorite, this stem fits! I've wanted to use this 4-bolt double unit from the start, now I can!
DSCF3681.jpg

One last side view.
DSCF3684.jpg

That how she sits....for now.

Cheers,
Dr. T

That is flowing very will with the frame! Glad to see an update on this bad boy!!!!

Oh now that's cool! All the parts go together so nice.

This is such a cool build. A wild mix of old and new.

This has inspired me to work on my own. Thanks, Doc! :D

Looks nice!
Don't hate me, but the first thing that came to me when I saw the profile pic was,"If the seat stays on the OCC frame were moved up to the top tube of the cruiser frame, that would look really clean."
DSCF3684_zps8fb1beb9.jpg

What I was thinking of.....
Can't wait to see this finished!

Sits lean and mean...I like it!! 8) 8)

If you do go the route that moleman suggests, it could be done very similarly to the way I did the front forks on Fugsley, but the opposite direction.

Tank,
I found the perfect pedals for you on ebay.

$T2eC16hHJGwE9n)yVTwvBQ+,ILRGm!~~60_57.JPG

Only just found your thread Doc! Impressive work! Just shows how much time you can spend on this site and still find gems you somehow missed along the way...

Looking forward to more... Subscribed!

Luke.

Back