Pioneer & Derby and Schwinn B-6 & Sky Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the first two of four from a guy that owns a lawn mower/chain saw shop. He once also repaired bikes, but Wally world drove him out. I am not exactly sure what I got, but I knew I had to have it. Looks to be a schwinn (headbadge says Pioneer) the other is labled as "Derby"; but looks like a Mercury. I really liked the extended tank and chain guard. The blue bike has been repainted, so I will give it a makeover. I will try to see how much rust I can coax off the Schwinn and see what we got.

Any details about these would be appreciated.

Re: Pioneer & Derby ???

You Got some sweet finds. You might try giving the schwinn a soak in Oxalic acid from what Ive read on the stuff it will remove the rust but not the paint.

I will look into the Oxalic acid, but where do you get it and how is it applied?
I will also give the blue one a lite sanding to see what beneath. What next?
The other two bikes I have yet to bring home just as crusty. One looks like a Phantom without a tank. The other is more of
a mystery, the badge features jet - labled Skyway (early 60's). Pics of these 2 next week. The guy would only sell the four bikes as one package (all or nothing). Four bald headed kite flyers takes the lot.

Take some goof off professional grade to derby. It takes the house paint off but not the original. 4 Benjamin's !!! Wow! Cant find that nice of bikes for that nice of price around anymore..... Good score!

The Pioneer badge is one of the rarer Schwinn badges and could be worth a good amount. The third bike you found is a what appears to be a 46-48 B6 Schwinn. Nice finds!

Nice finds for sure. Schwinn with tank is a model D97X and looks to be complete. B6 only needs a tank to be complete. Lucky guy! Gary

77XLT said:
I will look into the Oxalic acid, but where do you get it and how is it applied?

It's the active ingredient in Wood Bleach. You mix it in water and soak your metal parts...rust goes away. Brush it away with a nylon brush. But be careful, it's nasty stuff. Wear glove, eye protection, and keep well ventilated.

OR...go the safe route...Citric acid powder. It's used in the cooking industry and IS 100% SAFE! Buy a 10 lb bag on eBay and it will last a long time. I mix 1 cup of CAP to 1 gallon of water. Soak chrome for 24 hours or so. Rinse the parts off. Done. Works just as good, but no risk.

I've had decent luck using vinegar that is 5% or higher in acidic level. Only used it too soak parts a few times thus far but it has worked slowly but fairly well. Haven't tried it on anything with paint yet.

Rust removal remedies are far and wide. We have acids, vinegar; navel jelly and "metal rescue" product (commercial on youtube seems to good to be true). Thanks for the great suggestions. I want to do the best job possible removing the rust from paint without any harm. Many of you have done some fantastic recovery projects when all hope looked impossible. My previous projects have been strip to metal, prime and paint. Original preservation restoration is new to me, but I have a feeling it will require just as much dedication. When the rust has been defeated, what is the best way to preserve the bike? Is a simple waxing the answer or is clear coat spray job the way to go?

FWIW - The Derby is pretty attractive as it is. Your chances of improving it by painting are near zero. I would clean up the chrome, clean the paint overspray off the headbadge and nipples, etc, and buff the existing repaint. If you have to paint something, paint the Schwinn. :shock:

Back