Please Help. What do I have? Updated with serial number

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDK

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been lurking here, gaining knowledge from all on here. Today I picked up my first old school cruiser but I don't have a clue what it is. The head badge is there but there is completely faded away. I know it is very pieced together as the previous owner told me it was and I have no desire to do any sort of restoration. I plan on doing some custom touches to is and would like to add a tank and paint. I do know it is a light weight frame with balloon tires but that's about it. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

IMG00402-20110507-1523.jpg

IMG00403-20110507-1908.jpg

IMG00404-20110507-1908.jpg

IMG00406-20110507-1909.jpg

IMG00407-20110507-1909.jpg

IMG00409-20110507-1910.jpg

IMG00405-20110507-1909.jpg

Re: Please Help. What do I have?

monark frame...
is there a badge, or signs of a badge, under the crank??

How hard to get a head badge or tank? Any idea how old?

Thanks for the quick response. I have a ton to learn.

...but with schwinn forks (set up for brakes) :mrgreen:
edit: lightweight forks

Markm said:
monark frame...
is there a badge, or signs of a badge, under the crank??

There are 3 very faint dots that are not symmetrical in any way that I can see thru the very thick coats of paint, but no badge.

Nope. Nothing like that or the holes for the rivets unless they are under the thick paint.

Not that I could find. I will look harder in the morning.

I am thinking that it is a Columbia built bike and not a Monark.

DDK said:

wow that bike is beautiful, i never really noticed how nice those frames are without all the fenders tanks and big heavy looking trusses. those forks on there are awesome too, nice and clean and straight. they accentuate the frame nicely.

Not a Westfield, wrong dropouts, chainstays not looped, top tube would be larger diameter than the seatpost. WF badge just means sold at Western Auto Stores.

Markm said:
hmmmm...any numbers Anywhere on frame????
I looked closer today and there are no numbers anywhere. Whats the chance of finding a tank for this?

I'd keep those blade forks, since it is going to be a custom. I'd flip those bars, since they don't have much rise anyway. They are really cool either way. Even though bikes sometimes look cleaner without a tank, I personally think adding a tank would be a good move. Looks like some thick paint though. The serial is probably under the crank hanger but obscured by layers of paint.

ozzmonaut said:
I'd keep those blade forks, since it is going to be a custom. I'd flip those bars, since they don't have much rise anyway. They are really cool either way. Even though bikes sometimes look cleaner without a tank, I personally think adding a tank would be a good move. Looks like some thick paint though. The serial is probably under the crank hanger but obscured by layers of paint.

Thanks for the input. I will likely flip the bars, they are way cool either way. I have a buddy who does sandblasting and was going to talk to him about stripping it. Any reason not to blast it? I was thinking the same that the serial number is under the bad paint job.

Back