I finally got the pedals loose with a bit of heat and got the crank out. Now that the frame is stripped down I can start work on it. You can't really see in the photos, but I straightened out the seat post tube.
I've got the frame cut today, so no going back now.
I started to get the frame mocked up. The total length might change, and I will probably bring it a bit more forward and upright at the top. Probably need a little more straight section at the end for the seat post as well.
I took a few minutes after lunch and got the top tube welded in. It's the original top tube extended with part of the seat post tube. I wanted to retain the tapered end. So far all the tubing is OEM murray.
I need to extend the seat stays 4" so I found some scrap stays from another freesprit that are the correct size and turned two ends from 1/2" solid bar stock in the lathe. I'll probably grind the ends at an angle.