(poll) frame rule in the build off go back to no cutting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should the frame rule in the build off go back to not cutting anything off?

• No

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 19 40.4%

• Total voters
Re: should the frame rule in the build off go back to no cutting

My general feeling is the builder should be able to build the bike he or she wants if that means modifying the frame so be it an as far as paint let that rule be change also a lot of guys don't have access to paint booths an some guys want to opt for powder coating witch should be up to them its still a level playing field if you do this :idea:

Re: should the frame rule in the build off go back to no cutting

big kountry said:
My general feeling is the builder should be able to build the bike he or she wants if that means modifying the frame so be it an as far as paint let that rule be change also :idea:
I like keeping the frame stock looking , but I don't feel anyone should be penalized because they cut a fender brace or something stupid , so they can use the parts they want . And as far as paint , I say open it up . No paint & flat black do just as good .

I completely disagree. What makes this challenge so hard used to be just that, working around the frame. I'd sit there come up with an idea then go "darn that won't work cause Id have to cut that. It's the most challenging build off for that reason, it makes you think

Look at it this way. I'm crafty I could make the back wider do a lot of sneaky little things. I too like the seat tube cut but it opened a lot of worms. If it had just said "thats all u can cut off period" imagine the issues it would have solved

Well, I voted no cutting but now I'm confused.I thought it was legal? I guess your Ratty Truck for RRBB)#2 forfeits its win then since the tabs for the basket were cut? For a cycle truck those are structural?
Yes I did vote for that one back when we got only 1 vote.
You guys make the call and see if we need to have an Asterick next to it.
FRAME CUTTING
How far do we want the regulations to go?

I still love ya karfer. No I don't think it needs an Asterick. Just pointing out that those tabs would be considered structural and that would take that bike out of the next build off if the no cut rules go. :wink:

They were only used for the basket struts but yea your right. I'll forfeit that win if everyone wants.

Not bagging on you. Just saying that that one would fall technically into frame structure(even though it doesn't look it). There was also one in RRBBO#3 where the dropouts were cut that won.
MORE FRAME CUTTING
So you guys decide if this one aslo need an Asterick.
The only build off where no one cut anything or was looking for a loop hole to work around was RRBBO#1.
Personally I have no problem with the first build off rules. Seem's like everyone moans about not being able to do this or that yet when Rat Rod posted a poll on an anything goes build off for the yearly build off everyone shot that down in flames and then moaned that they couldn't do this,that, or the other! Now I'm confused! Sorry man. Didn't mean to hi-jack you thread. :oops:
I say we go back to the build off #1 rules or just start doing anything goes for the yearly build offs.

Heck heres 2 more rule breakers(don't have time to post the links or everyone else. Use the search function to find them)
37fleetwood used a frame that was stretched 20 years prior in one of the build offs(#3 I think) . Dumpster diver did a gender change in on of the build offs as well. those were both in the voting. How far and firm do you guys want the rules? If it's a no cut build off. then tabs for a cycle truck basket would be structural(since its purpose is to be a cargo carrier!) No I don't want to say you didn't win(like I said, I VOTED FOR IT!). Just pointing out if you guys want a no cut rule then you better cover 100% of the rules or someones going to whine that so and so cheated and had an unfair advantage! That's it. That's all. THAT'S THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE!(<serious)

Personally I don't care what the rules are. Use only stock parts with no painting and no modifications at all or do a 100% custom anything goes build off! It makes no difference! It's just bicycles. Build them. Ride them. that's what this is all about. Not votes or contests.(<serious)

Sorry again like I said in the pm karfer, I wasn't trying to single you out or say you shouldn't have won. Trying to make a point that if you have a rule like that you(well, whoever is in charge of making/enforcing them had better cover 100% of ANY possible infractions!) need to make it crystal clear what is and is not allowed. If it says no cutting then 100% NO CUTTING. Sorry I'm not very great at expressing myself online. You can't see me so I guess most of what I wrote can be taken wrong. I guess I'd better start putting side notes with all my posts from now on(< serious)!

EDIT*
SORRY I WAS MISTAKEN. DUMPSTER DIVERS BUILD "RULE BREAKER" (yes that is the build name) DID NOT DO A GENDER CHANGE. HE CUT THE CANTI TUBE OFF A FRAME AND CHANGED IT TO A SINGLE MID TUBE LIKE THE OLDER J.C. HIGGINS. SORRY FOR MY MISTAKE. I WAS IN A RUSH TO GET SOME CHRISTMAS SHOPPING DONE AND DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO GO BACK AND LOOK FOR ALL THE PICTURES. :oops:

I voted "YES" but, I really have no problem cutting off small tabs, etc., but I think the basic shape of the frame should be unaltered. To me, that is what makes a bike, and its also what makes it challenging for the builder. JMO

well, I am actually building today. Getting a lot done to the jet bike! I say open it up to cutting, welding, building from scratch. Here's the thing....I am going with a stock frame cause I don't have the skillset to cut, weld and stuff....but I am not in the buildoff to win. I am in it to push myself to build something cool and to see the awesome builds everyone else comes up with. Allowing cutting/welding would pretty much ensure I would not win, but man it would allow some crazy cool bikes to be built. I'd rather see what creative crap you guys can come up with than win a contest. I know I can build nice bikes. I don't need a trophy to prove it. Open it up and bring on the creativity with restrictions! 8)

dogdart said:
I hope it's no cutting whatsoever . Cause I'm gonna build the most controversial bike ever :!: :!:
What would that be? I did this as just to see what folks thought by the way

bike2112 said:
I have a Monarch Hexuple top secret suprise for all of you.

Meh...
maroney_rect1.jpg

:lol: :wink:

Back