Possible Pre-War Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this pre war frame up the other day. To me it resembles a late 30's Schwinn. The forks look Schwinn too. The seat clamp however does not resemble Schwinn. I tried all the badges I got from that ladies house and the only ones that matched the holes were a Wards Hawthorne and a Western Flyer. No AS badges fit.

The serial is on the bottom of the bottom bracket. It reads: T18191
IMG_1779.jpg

Pretty sure that is indeed a Schwinn; ~'36-'38. They did use two different badge spacings at this point in time, a short and a tall spacing; measurement? The seat clamp would be a braised on one before the war as well if that's what's questionable for you.

the badge measurement was center to center 2 7/8 inches.
I looked at the other schwinn ive got (probably a 41) and it too has the brazed seattube collar i didnt realize. It however has the area for an AS stamped bolt with the flat, flush side and this bike does not. Did they just use a round AS bolt at this time?

Thanks for the help.

El Duderino said:
the badge measurement was center to center 2 7/8 inches.
I looked at the other schwinn ive got (probably a 41) and it too has the brazed seattube collar i didnt realize. It however has the area for an AS stamped bolt with the flat, flush side and this bike does not. Did they just use a round AS bolt at this time?

Thanks for the help.

I've got a prewar Schwinn Straightbar frame in the basement I'll look at when I wake up in the morning.

My '41 Schwinn has 2 7/8" badge holes. Louisville Cycle Supply badge. Maybe you have what was a Speedway badged Schwinn frame, you are in Kentucky after all. 8) Gary
DSC03760.jpg

.... now i need to find one of those badges. thats a good .... though

The lady I bought it from did say her Husbands first real job was at Louisville cycle

I think it's about 50/50 on the badge sizes. There's 2 7/8" and then the other one, I believe, was 3 3/16". I had a Lasalle badge in the small size and I have a '35 Packard now with the short badge. I'm sure many of them had options for both sizes.

El Duderino said:
I picked this pre war frame up the other day. To me it resembles a late 30's Schwinn. The forks look Schwinn too. The seat clamp however does not resemble Schwinn. I tried all the badges I got from that ladies house and the only ones that matched the holes were a Wards Hawthorne and a Western Flyer. No AS badges fit.

The serial is on the bottom of the bottom bracket. It reads: T18191=

Cool. Looks like it's probably a C-model... little hard to tell at this angle, but it's got the hallmarks -- straight downtube, straight chainstays, curved seat stays.

Lack of a truss rod fork could mean it's from a cheaper "off brand"... no matter though, same frame.

Great foundation for a klunker! Here's mine: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15388&p=219901&#p219901

1938_12.jpg

I would agree with it being a lower quality bike with that fork. That plus the fact that it must have had a Louisville cycle badge due to the pattern would coincide.

I want to powder mine black like yours. Ive got a brand new set of those pedals too.

Back