Post Murray Westport Pictures!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just love these frames.
Again, not a Westport, but a Monterey...found just the 'frame' on the side of the road ready for trash pickup.

Don't really know what to do with it yet ??
didn't have any 26" tires around, so I threw on a couple of 24" tires from an old Roadmaster bike..does it look too weird with the 24" tires on it?
..had a couple of old Murray cranks hanging around...seat is from some other piece of junk...bars, I can't remember...just to get it riding. took apart cassette made into one speed, no brakes yet .Now, it's in pieces again in the back of my trailer.

Can't tell fro this pic, but the paint is kindof thin, and it's a weird purple red color...we'll see what happens.
:thumbsup:
Franco

23574381854_7355f172db_b.jpg

'92 Westport, a work in progress.
40d833a1b9e30c6e99f9a7c2582a88e4.jpg

How it started.
dedf8af6c7b04f2d2eb5896eb64ae220.jpg

I see where you're headed..looking good.
these Westports/Montereys , same frame, are a great start to almost any mod..aren't' they. Always keep a couple around..:happy:

assembly1-24-3.jpg

Gave $10 for this Westport, then added a spenny fork (from a Diamondback mtb) and motorized it. I call it Moby.
moby1.jpg

I'm glad you are keeping your Murray alive and well. Have you ever replaced the headset on this bike? The fixed cups and crown race are pitted on mine and even with new bearings it feels gravelly. I haven't been able to find a replacement headset because the fork and crown race are odd balls. They are conical where they come together. There has to be a replacement available somewhere but I haven't found one yet. The original stem was a 21.1mm made by Wald so I checked for Wald headsets but no luck.

I really want to keep the original fork but I do have a threadless fork and headset that will fit my Monterey head tube if I have to go that route.

No I didn't have to replace the headset or even the bearings. They were in great shape, the person I bought this bike off of. Garage kept it for over 20 years. So I was really lucky. Honestly it sounds kida tacky but craigslist has helped me find a lot of things. Sometimes it's a crap shoot but sometimes you find gem.

Latest posts

Back