Pr of Phillips Lugged Cantilever Manhattans SA Gen 3sp Hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Had a good yard sale morning. Check out this pair of Phillips (Raleigh) Manhattans that I picked up. Both have SA 3 Speed Generator hubs, front and back lights, bells, tire pump, and really cool seatube decals. The mens bike also has a neat stem mounted rear view mirror and a nice color matching seatbag with original tool kit inside.

I have never seen a lugged cantilever before and wasn't even aware that Raleigh made any cantis during this era. I am guessing late 50s to mid 60s.

WP_002000.jpg

WP_001995.jpg

WP_002001.jpg

WP_002002.jpg

WP_001998.jpg

WP_001996.jpg

WP_002003.jpg

WP_002004.jpg

WP_002006.jpg

WP_002005.jpg

One thing about these. I didn't know that it was possible to get STINK on a bike. I loaded them in the back of my SUV and went off to another yard sale. When I got back in my car at the next sale, OMG, it reaked of cat urine!!!! Spent the rest of the yard saling morning with the windows down and luckily one of the sales had a can of Lysol I bought. These were obviously house kept along with a butt load of cats I guess. Maybe I will use the men's bike for BO8 and call it Cat Piss.

Check the hubs for a year stamp. They may be Phillips bikes, not Raleigh made, if they were made before 1960. Phillips was a good quality bike, same as Hercules, before 1960. After that, they were still good, but made by Raleigh, and one notch down in quality from their bikes.

Latest posts

Back