Pre 48 Schwinn DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I picked this up over the weekend. Also came with an original 9 hole rear rack, but the color is off. I may or may not try to match it and install it.

The code is “Bxxxxx”. It has forward facing drops and a integrated kickstand. I am guessing 46/47? I could be wrong, but that's what I come up with. The bike is really clean. Hardly any rust even under the fenders. Headbadge is nice….Paint and pinstriping is a little faded, but it has nice character. Seems mostly original…obviously not the grips. It has the sweetheart skiptooth. The paint on the rims is really nice. I like this bike. Simple and clean…I am going to detail it and then I’ll post more pics.

46schwinn.jpg

S2 rims didn't come out until '48 so it could be an early '48. If the serial number is on the dropout it could be a '52 or '53. Nice looking bike in exceptional condition. I really like the look of a base model DX with no frills. Very utilitarian.

I'll post a pic of the rims later. They are beefy flat white "squared off" rims with black pinstripes. They have Schwinn stamped in the center of the rim. No knurling, but I guess they could be S2s still. The serial number is on the BB shell.

I agree about the base model. At first, I was going to install the rack, look for a tank, etc.....decided that I like the way it looks.

Terry66 said:
I'll post a pic of the rims later. They are beefy flat white "squared off" rims with black pinstripes. They have Schwinn stamped in the center of the rim. No knurling, but I guess they could be S2s still. The serial number is on the BB shell.

I agree about the base model. At first, I was going to install the rack, look for a tank, etc.....decided that I like the way it looks.

The rims are painted S2s but that doesn't mean they are necessarily original to the bike. My grandpa's '46 DX has S2s which he added at a later date.

I felt the same way when i picked up my '39 DX but left it as a base model.

Pictures734.jpg

Thanks for the feedback...they are painted S-2 rims. I suppose it could be a '48....just thought the "B" code probably meant earlier. Then again, as you said, it could be that the rims aren't original....I guess there is no way to be certain right? How do people identify bikes with pre-fire serial numbers?

It rides really nice. I am not sure what I liked about the bike. Real basic and plain, but clean. I needed a ballooner and this really fit the bill. Now I am going to rat out the Higgins.

As far as the bug...I guess I am getting the vintage bug. Been putting in 3000 miles a year for a while now. I do time trails, touring, mountain biking, etc. I ride 5-6 days a week in the spring, summer, fall! :D

Latest posts

Back