Pre-war Fleet straight bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scooped this up on CL yesterday to make a klunker. Can anybody give me leads to ID it? I can't find anything with Google.

Thanks in advance!

fleeta.jpg

fleetb.jpg

fleetc.jpg

Frame is late 30s Schwinn most likely except the fork and some of the other stuff, have a frame just like it, this one is from what I can gather aa '37 due to the crispness of the serial number.

IMG_0828.jpg

The fenders look old, though probably not original, and the chainguard is a Shelby guard- the frame is a Schwinn made frame.

Frame is a prewar C Model Schwinn. Crank and chain ring are correct for the frame. The rest of the parts look like off brand stuff. Gary

B607 said:
Frame is a prewar C Model Schwinn. Crank and chain ring are correct for the frame. The rest of the parts look like off brand stuff. Gary

Thank guys! Was "Fleet" a Schwinn brand or something?

J_Westy said:
Thank guys! Was "Fleet" a Schwinn brand or something?

In your case, Fleet was a name used by the jobber/distributor/wholesaler. I tried to look up which jobber it is but couldn't find it. Much later, in the 60's, Schwinn came out with a middleweight bike named "Fleet", but it has nothing to do with your prewar badge/frame. Gary

B607 said:
In your case, Fleet was a name used by the jobber/distributor/wholesaler. I tried to look up which jobber it is but couldn't find it. Much later, in the 60's, Schwinn came out with a middleweight bike named "Fleet", but it has nothing to do with your prewar badge/frame. Gary

Thanks! From a similar post I have on mtbr.com, all of these were prewar Schwinn head badges from Alan Bonds' collection.

badges.jpg

Yep, you could put any of those on your bike and no one would know the difference. (Except for the Dayton badge) Those badges are pre-war but also early post-war. Gary

Well, 7 months later I finally finished up my hybrid Bomber!

See here for the build blog: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61972

=================
Frame: 1936-38 Fleet (Schwinn) C-Model

Fork: 1950's NOS Schwinn Forged w/ 1938 Schwinn Motorbike truss rods (rechromed)

Headset: NOS Tioga MX-2
Stem: Astabula 1976
Handlebar: Answer Alumilite 6061
Grips: AME Tri grips

Cranks: TA Pro 5 Vis (60th Anniversary)
Chain: KMC BMX Z410 Silver
Bottom Bracket: TruVativ American-to-Euro Conversion kit + Shimano UN-71 68x115
Pedals: Odyssey Triple Trap (NOS)

Rims: Ukai 26x2.125 NOS blue anodized
Hubs: Rear: NOS 1980's Suntour coaster (came laced to the Ukai),
..........Front: NOS Shimano 333
Tires: Cheng Shin C693

Saddle: Brooks B-72 (1985)
Seatpost: Custom turned 6061 Anodized
Seatpost Binder: Campy

Weight: 33 lb

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Are you able to tighten the seat post down good enough with that Italian gizmo on the old frame clamp? Gary

My Schwinn clunker is due for some freshening up for the winter racing season. Your bike will figure heavily into my inspirations during the rebuild.

Back