prewar schwinn build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really much of a build, just need to grab the last couple of parts and stick it together. A friend's dad had an old bike hanging in his garage apparently for years and I heard about it from another friend, so I inquired. For the low low price of $300 I scored this bike. Bunch of NOS parts, fresh powdercoat and chrome etc. Needed handlebars/grips, chain, rear cog figured out and all of the bolts need to be tightened.

So I've already snagged a pair of old style (but new handlebars) and mocked them up. Just bought an old set (not period correct old, but old enough) wheels with skiptooth cog and will need to get some white brick pattern tires. Then get a skiptooth chain and start riding it.

Seat is from when Schwinn remade the Phantom. Last owner bought the seat new then and it's been in plastic since. Is it sacrilege to dye it black? If so I guess I'll just get a black brooks.

Then once it's riding I'd like to either make a tank, or just a flat panel to fit into the upper frame where a tank would/could go and probably get it pinstriped.

Enough talking, here are the pics:

cruiser4.jpg

cruiser3.jpg

cruiser2.jpg

cruiser1.jpg

Very nice! I really like the headbadge.... I have one on the "X" Project. ('46 DX redone, but not as original - it is further down in this section)
The color is nice on this. I have several other frames sitting, and that is a consideration for one of them. The problem is that every time lately that I have time (or think I will) to work on anything, either life or weather seems to stop me.
Does this have a one speed rear hub or is it something with a little extra?

Looks really good!!

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

one speed for now and new wheel is a one speed. I'm too cheap to be buying 3 speed wheels/hubs plus I don't like the look of the cables. My ride to work is 2 miles and darn near flat, so a single speed works just fine.

i agree this build really could use a 2 speed ND, or bendex. but it is stunning in person you better get er done for the next ride!!

took it out to the shop today and with the help of a long pipe the pedals don't glance the frame now.

new to me wheels with a skiptooth rear, skiptooth chain as well as prewar style grips are on the way. Found a local set of fat frank white tires.

I need to haul it down to the hardware store to pick up a bolt for the handlebar mount and a nut for the springer.

I'm going to try and track down a period correct seat, but if not I'll just get a black brooks or something.

Hoping to have enough parts to have it riding this weekend. Does the skiptooth chain require a special tool for the links?

unfortunately yeah they do...but a tapered punch will work in a pinch(as long as you dont have to use what you removed again) or karfer might pop it for you if ya ask nice
btw you have a very pricey headbadge on that......ive look at some that have ended on ebay and theyre almost in triple didgets :shock:

I think that the chain I'm getting is not in a loop yet and I have a master link in waiting. Worst case I'll throw it in the truck and visit College Cyclery.

Man... I wish I lived somewhere close to you all. Having a shop like College (Rat Friendly), and a close neighbor like Karfer.. Well, it don't get no better than that! :mrgreen:

You mentioned a period correct seat.. What is the one that's on it now? That one looks pretty good on it. (Of course, I have a couple of Brooks saddles too, and yeah, they kinda fit right in there..)

I had a later skiptooth bike, a '55 Hiawatha Apache, a couple of years ago now, I traded it in on a new Bianchi. After thinking about it, and now having sold the Bianchi, I realize I should have kept the Apache. Apparently I was thinking at the time of only having a dozen or so bikes max. At some point, I think things accelerated. Kinda like going from a candle to an inferno.

I also noticed I have a skiptooth wheel, chain and crankset from one of the old Schwinn here too. Unfortunately, I am not in love with the crank sprocket enough to put it on something. I keep watching for one that appeals to me for a reasonable price. Certainly no rush on that one.

I REALLY like this color, and everytime I read this, I like it more. It may get me to go in a different direction with one of the frames sitting in wait. I just don't know......

Nice job, keep the posts coming. (and I'll keep growing a lust for that yellow!)

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

I'm told that the seat is from when Schwinn remade the Phantom (i think). When I got it, it still was in the bag, and I've only sat on it a couple of times. I'm still new to this, but for a prewar bike having a padded seat on it doesn't feel right. I'd like something like a brooks saddle with the front coil. You know, basic frame, only leather, no padding.

A Brooks hairpin wood look good. I have 3 different Brooks and like them all. The leather gets comfy and is cooler when it is a 100+ out.

Well I ordered one of the generic replica hairpin seats because I prefer the look of those to the brooks and quite frankly it was a third of the cost. We'll see if mine smells bad like others have commented.
gallerynk0.jpg

Also got some new to me wheels yesterday. 26" new departure D hub with 1" pitch cog
eb289.JPG

skiptooth chain should be in next week. :mrgreen:

I ended up finding one online and it worked out because I got a couple of other parts in the deal.

Got my chain and grips today afterall. I'm pretty swamped this weekend, but I'm going to try and carve out some time to get it together.

Back