PRIVATE LABEL BICYCLE?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Everettbikeheadbadge_zps58b1ae14.jpg
/Everettbikeheadbadge_zps58b1ae14.jpg[/img]http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums
I just picked up this bike. It is pre-war and has a local town's sporting goods store's name on the head badge. (Lynn Sporting Goods Co. Lynn, MA) The model name Everett is another local town as well. I'm sure the store no longer exists but the bike does. Not sure what bike manufacturer made this bike but it looks similar to my Elgins.

/Everettbikeheadbadge_zps58b1ae14.jpg

That would be a 1939 Schwinn DX you've got there. You can tell it's '39 as I believe that is the only year which featured a straight downtube and dropstand tangs.

Back then, any little place could have custom badges made for their stores. Many hardware stores did this as hardware stores often sold bikes. Even major chains like Wards Hawthorne worked similarly. It's definitely cool that it's a hometown bike that's still near its original location. Nice find!

Edit: But! That badge was added at a later time. You can see they used the top hole but had to punch a hole in the middle of the badge to match the other hole in the headtube. Oh well! :D still a great bike.

Edit: But! That badge was added at a later time. You can see they used the top hole but had to punch a hole in the middle of the badge to match the other hole in the headtube. Oh well! :D still a great bike.[/quote]

Yep that is a 39 DX. I think the badge was probably put on the bike when it was sold and they just had one size badge for all differnt bikes. I have seen other shops drill new screw holes to make their badges work. Matt

Hey Rockit man. Go for it. I've decided not to bid on that tank. I'll wait for another one that's not rotted out too bad. I am looking for a chain guard for the bike. Keep me posted. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back