Project "Firebolt" life after BO

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone!
It has been a while since i last wrote here :) But the good news are - the bike is finally finished! Little i knew when starting this build a few years ago that it would take me this much. But i am happy with the result, and that's the most important. The bike is getting a lot of use and it rides great.
As a matter of fact i have finished it in the end of August and have presented it at our local annual cruise, and i have even taken the good pictures already and modified one thing, but only now i am coming to post it online.
But first things first - i will talk about the building process.
First of all i have converted my rear hub for a disc brake and a friend of mine helped me installing it on a bike. I now run Shimano Deore BR-MT520 4 piston hydraulic brake and a Tektro ebike compatible braking lever with a sensor. I must confess i never was a found of disc brakes, but those work really well easily stopping a heavy ebike even from high speeds. They also work quietly, at least for now.
The next thing i have done is i have made a new rear lights from an old broken Electra front hub. I believe you can easily see the shape of the hub that i have cut in two and smoothened the flanges.
IMG_9497.jpeg

I have glued the plastic thread part of the old lamps in and put the strong LEDs inside.
IMG_9502.jpeg

IMG_9757.jpeg

Another thing i have done is made a new chain guard extension out of an L shaped aluminium profile to reduce the wobble on the bumps. It worked fantastically.
IMG_9495.jpeg

Stamped the frame number and a build name.
IMG_9549.jpeg

Made a rear rack. Unfortunately i was in a hurry because of painting process and missed the height for a just a few mm, but that was enough for it to touch the fender. I would need to rise it a little later.
IMG_9553.jpeg

Then after i rode a little my old Persons seat given up and got bent. I had to make a reinforcement plate and now it seems to work great.
IMG_9896.jpeg

I have also upholstered my seat red. The pan got hammered straight and powder coated so it would serve longer now.
IMG_9900.jpeg

I have also put a 2011 Basman Indian Moon handlebar, that is somewhat lower then a 2013 version i have used earlier, a new 346 Basman stem, some reproduction bear trap style pedals, sealed bearings headset, and an awesome Electra checkered mirror! Another friend of mine helped me with cable guiding. And here is how the bike finally looks!
_MG_9186_1.jpg

It is hard for me to express how much i am happy with finally having it! I even had this long forgotten feeling when i want to ride my bike just for the sake of riding, not for any particular destination. There are surely many details i have forgot to mention, but i will just share a few more nice photos for you to enjoy with me. Some of the pictures for some reason refuse to work with the forum, so i leave the link for a Google Photos album.

_MG_9223.jpg
_MG_9217.jpg
_MG_9185.jpg
_MG_9187.jpg
_MG_9189.jpg

Latest posts

Back