Question about head sets

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
On this Huffy I am building....after cleaning and greasing the bearings and putting it back together, it seems too tight when I tighten down the top nut. If I don't tighten it all the way down then it seems to loosen itself when you turn the handlebars. When I put the bearings in I put them so that the bearing side was facing the neck tube....is this wrong? The top nut that goes on after the bearing is kind of different...not like a Schwinn.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?

neck.jpg

I think I may have used the bearings from that Huffy mountain bike I found. I did this because one of the ball bearings was missing out of the original bearings. Maybe this is the problem. :roll:

I compared them and I thought they looked the same, but maybe they aren't.

I guess I'll be pulling it apart again.

It sounds like the bearing crown you've put in is smaller. If you use the cones from the mountain bike(top screwie thingy and bottom one that goes on the fork), it should work. Don't forget to put a washer between the top bearing cone and the lock nut.

yes watch when you tighten the nut is the top race turning with it when you tighten. they will rotate a bit but not totally with the nut as you tighten. take a look at the notched washer you used and make sure the little nub on the washer is in good shape. other than that check to see if the bearings are the same shape some headsets use two different washers. if all else fails you can always use loose balls for the headset just stuff the cups full of grease push the balls into the cups then assemble.

Back