Questions about powder coating and metal working.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening guys, I'm about to start working on a project and I need some info and advice.

First off, I'm working on a West Coast Choppers 20" ....which I plan to do a few neat things to.

My questions begin with....I plan to powder coat the frame,forks,rear fender, and the fake gas tank. Now, for the tank I've got a threaded machined aluminum fake gas tank cap and filler tube (short). The problem is this cap and tube are aluminum.....does anyone have any idea if aluminum can be safely welded to the steel tank??

If not, then does anyone have any idea if things like JB Weld, and other steel putty type of hardners and bonders can be powder coated safely???? I'm also needing to know of bondo can be powder coated over safely as well.....as I'd like to clean up a few areas on this tank before having it powder coated.

I guess that's it for now.........Please help me out with some info if possible guys.....

Brian

I think the default answer is, use spray paint man!

But seriously, I think the process of powder coating runs too hot to use any non-metal substances. If they didn't melt, they would probably change shape or composition.

rattle...rattle....rattle... :)

Thanks guys...I also posted the same question over the "Chopper Bikes" forum...and got the same replies too. I don't know why I spaced out and forgot that any material to be powder coated has to be electrically charged in order for the powder to stick.

I'll paint the tank myself ..... that way I can do it up as I originally wanted to ;)

Back