Questions from newbie...wheels and tank?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do most of you find newer style wheels for klunker builds? Do you look for inexpensive bikes on CL and yardsales to swap parts from? Most of what I can find are huffy and roadmaster and I really am trying to stay away from them since they are already rusty while sitting on wallyworld's floor as new "bicycle shaped objects."

-AND-

My son recently purchased a tank labeled "swiss cheese" and the seller named it aptly. I am thinking of taping the outside off, and coating the inside with a rubberized coating, Rustoleum Leak Seal, or similar type product to give the inside of the tank some structure and then coating the outside with a matte finish clear coat to preserve the rust but stop it from further decay. Would this be a sensible coarse of action? Does anybody see any downsides to doing this?

thank you kindly,
-Lee-

I got no clue about reinforcing the tank, but as far as klunkin' wheels go, what I usually do is I just build what I want BUT if I want cheap, ready-built wheels, I usually see if @ind-chuckz has anything for sale... Take-offs from Worksman or Schwinn Heavy Duti industrial bikes, with 12g or 11g spokes. If you want brand new wheels, you can get semi cheap ones from Niagara with Weinmann AS7X rims, 12g spokes, and Shimano CB-E110 coaster hubs. I'll try to find a link.

Just my opinion, but you definitely don't want to cheapout on wheels, especially for a trail bike. When wheels blow out get Tacoed, you're bound to crash...

Just my opinion, but you definitely don't want to cheapout on wheels, especially for a trail bike. When wheels blow out get Tacoed, you're bound to crash...

This^

Also I would use fiberglass to line the tank with if it is rusty enough to need structural help. Most auto parts stores sell a kit with a yard of cloth and a pint of resin/catalyst in one kit for not too much. Or I could send you some E-glass tape if you don't have any cloth.

I got no clue about reinforcing the tank, but as far as klunkin' wheels go, what I usually do is I just build what I want BUT if I want cheap, ready-built wheels, I usually see if @ind-chuckz has anything for sale... Take-offs from Worksman or Schwinn Heavy Duti industrial bikes, with 12g or 11g spokes. If you want brand new wheels, you can get semi cheap ones from Niagara with Weinmann AS7X rims, 12g spokes, and Shimano CB-E110 coaster hubs. I'll try to find a link.

LMK I have a bunch of wheels now.

Chuckz´s industrial wheels offer the best price:strength ratio i´ve seen for coaster-only (bomber) klunkers. You might find a better deal on stronger wheels once, if you get very lucky. But chuckz consistently offers these things; you can´t go wrong. He sometimes has Worksman wheelsets with drum fronts, if you want to run a front hub brake, too....:rockout:

Chuckz´s industrial wheels offer the best price:strength ratio i´ve seen for coaster-only (bomber) klunkers. You might find a better deal on stronger wheels once, if you get very lucky. But chuckz consistently offers these things; you can´t go wrong. He sometimes has Worksman wheelsets with drum fronts, if you want to run a front hub brake, too....:rockout:
I have these can do the Worksman with a front knockout hub instead of the drum. I always have the blackand the silver heavy duty wheels.
wdV0RVjBTNnqxs5knRI77I265Xo-4wr_L1qdofeh-_0pX92IB.jpeg
51121_0c8cfa98e8016912bde394a60b9b0fc5.jpeg
50113_039d1da4c7177fc098e9acdb04f74678.jpeg

Donor wheels, I buy local bikes and strip them. Shipping on wheels is costly. But Im cheap, and I also dont mind building my own wheels. 26" are easy, finding a good wheelset on a donor takes some time. Old 80's 90's mountain bikes usually go reasonable, can have quality wheelsets and likely have spin on hub drivetrain instead of cassettes. For me that offers the most build flexibility.

If youre just riding and not banging trails, a decent single wall rim will be fine in most cases. If you ride trails aggressively, You might as well learn to build wheels, stumps, roots, rocks will take out even good rims.

Back