***QuickSilver- Stick a fork in it!***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You didn't really think I was sitting this one out did ya?

I wasn't able to find a frame that I wanted to build up, so after long consideration and debate I have decided to give one of my current riders a new look. And another will be parted out to help the build.

Now I have to decide which bike?

How about an all original, minty Schwinn?
'55 Spitfire?
IMG_1237.jpg

or a '66 Coppertone Traveler?
IMG_1239.jpg

Maybe I could take the nice natural patina on this '61 Hornet?
IMG_1236.jpg

Or my stand by rat-'34 Colson Flyer?
IMG_1235.jpg

I couldn't find a buyer for my freshly restored '34 Rollfast. I do enjoy making a diamond into a bridge truss frame 8)
IMG_1238.jpg

Lotta things to consider since only three of these will be left untouched.
IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

Any guesses as to which bike will emerge from the ashes reborn? And which one has taken its last ride?

Re: The Phoenix

Given your past activities, I'd vote for bolting the back end of the Rollfast to the front of the Coppertone and creating the world's first ballooner/lightweight/swing/tall burrito/tandem.

loudboys said:
Given your past activities, I'd vote for bolting the back end of the Rollfast to the front of the Coppertone and creating the world's first ballooner/lightweight/swing/tall burrito/tandem.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see you are familiar with my work. The fun starts tomorrow.

Definately won't be the 55. I'm guessin the Hornet! Glad you are gonna build this year! 8)

I began stripping the paint from the Colson today. As I removed the layers of paint I wondered about the owner of this bike many years ago who decided to take his black bike and paint it red with white scallops and a small blue stripe to break it up. Did he love his bike as much as I did?
IMAG1104.jpg

I love these old frames when they have been stripped.
IMAG1105.jpg

The second victim in this mess has been revealed.

I spent a few hours of quality time with the frame and a high speed air sander. Between the 180 grit and the red scotch bright pads the front half of the frame is stripped to bare metal.
IMAG1113.jpg

IMAG1112.jpg

IMAG1111.jpg

IMAG1108.jpg

IMAG1107.jpg

IMAG1106.jpg

Even found some more stamping on the bottom bracket shell.
IMAG1109.jpg

Gotta love the bare metal look with the brass & all! 8) Maybe you should take the paint back! :lol:

pick said:
Gotta love the bare metal look with the brass & all! 8) Maybe you should take the paint back! :lol:

The only way I would go that route is if I were to polish the entire frame and (1) I don't have the equipment, (2) I don't have the time it would require, (3) I don't have the patience to do it correctly. Maybe some day I will give it a shot.

For now I am looking at taking the paint back and exchanging it for a different color. I chose a satin dark green and squirted some on the frame for a color test. I would call it a British Racing Green and that wouldn't look good with the wheel set from the Rollfast that I am planning on using. I am now considering going with a dove gray primer and a matte clear over it. Maybe.

IMAG1118.jpg

IMAG1116.jpg

Dove Gray w/clear will look great on this babie. Hope you stick with this choice.

Back