***QuickSilver- Stick a fork in it!***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Phoenix

"Stripped Naked and Shot" is the title of today's progress.

After three days of paint dust and rust I finally have the frame down to bare metal. Someday I might try polishing this frame.
IMAG1119.jpg

IMAG1120.jpg

After cleaning up the frame I got the first coat of primer shot.
IMAG1121.jpg

IMAG1122.jpg

I am done for the day. I'm off to bed.

Re: The Phoenix

I hit the frame and forks with a clear metal flake followed by a matte clear. It is hard to see the metal flake in the pics, but it is there. I turned out well and now I believe I am ready to begin the next stage of the build.

IMAG1123.jpg

IMAG1124.jpg

Re: The Phoenix- A Gray Area

Today's episode is brought to you by Shiner Hefeweizen.
IMAG1134.jpg

After I got the kiddos off to school I popped open a Shiner and set to work. Before you judge me for drinking at 8:30 in the morning you should know I work third shift and this is my afternoon. I began by mounting the original forks back to their frame.
IMAG1126.jpg

I took one last pic of this beautifully restored '34 Rollfast before I stripped her for parts.
IMAG1127.jpg

I was going to ask the Peanut Gallery for their opinion on which tire I should go with, but as soon as I began mounting the black tire on the rim I didn't care what any one thought. Black was going on.
IMAG1128.jpg

This color combination hit me just right.
IMAG1129.jpg

The White, not so much.
IMAG1131.jpg

I would like opinions on which seat I should go with.
Brooks B67 with less than 5 miles on it
IMAG1132.jpg

Or a brand unknown Vintage leather saddle
IMAG1133.jpg

Thoughts?

Ummmm, Hefeweizen. Been a few decades since I've had one of those. I like the Brooks, it matches the angles of the top tube.

Brooks and blackwalls are the ticket! 8)

Lookin good bro! 8) Blackwalls for sure! Your choice on seat, both look good to me.

Today's update is being brought to you by Shiner Dortmunder Style Spring Ale.
IMAG1156.jpg

The only real progress was getting the fender bolted on.
IMAG1145.jpg

I love the way these Lobdell "straight side" double drop center rims look when the tire is mounted. The rim flows almost seamlessly into the tire.
IMAG1147.jpg

IMAG1148.jpg

One of the often overlooked custom features on this frame is this one-year-only ('46) Schwinn tapered kickstand.
IMAG1153.jpg

This morning we are enjoying a Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat. The one in the garage didn't hang around for pictures so I snapped one as I was posting.
IMAG1169.jpg

A wild hair struck me at work last night. I was showing a friend the pictures of the build and while looking at the frame decided the metal flake gray was close, but not what the bike needed. I hit Autozone and picked up a can of DupliColor Silver Metal Specks. I have used this line of paint before with awesome results every time.

I believe I broke every rule of painting. I used 4 different manufactures, different types, and recoat times went out the window. No ill effects.

IMAG1157.jpg

IMAG1158.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

The truss rods got a better shade of Blue paint as well.
IMAG1161.jpg

IMAG1163.jpg

Re: The Phoenix- Ever Ride a Disco Ball?

I really like the frame and the colors I started to tell you in the post how clean it looked, the lines and contrast blue, black and gray. Then I look up and BOOM! its all apart :shock: I have no fear that it will turn out killer. I am a fan of your bike with the curved second tube that you built, cant wait to see this one . :) Tom

Re: The Phoenix- Ever Ride a Disco Ball?

I am enjoying your Beer sponsored posts.

Back