Rake and trail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you think about rake and trail while designing your bike? Do you measure and calculate before or do you just eyeball it?

I sometimes have to move a rake out of the way to get to a part or tool in the garage. I often consider the trails as I have a hard time staying off them when I see them. Other than that, I just figure it out on the test ride. Maybe I should have done the math on the Wonky Donkey though
IMG_20200911_144833359.jpg

I raised the front end by a few inches, it's a handful. I'm scared to put a drivetrain on it, I use it as a strider

Well, it should be kept reasonable and rideable... I got a wheel flop on one bike. It takes a few seconds to get used to. It also depends on the sturdiness of the fork - the more rake the more lateral forces are applied to the tubing.
There are formulas, probably on wikipedia, or Sheldon Bronw's page.

Well, it should be kept reasonable and rideable... I got a wheel flop on one bike. It takes a few seconds to get used to. It also depends on the sturdiness of the fork - the more rake the more lateral forces are applied to the tubing.
There are formulas, probably on wikipedia, or Sheldon Bronw's page.
I know how it´s measured and also know where it should be but sometimes the style and look are more important...
I have one bike that has too much trail but it works ok when riding at normal speed but when going very slow it´s bad.

In my case I had the impression that a bigger wheel would worsen the problem - which makes sense considering it raises the front. So a smaller front wheel might improve the situation. A longer stem may be as well.
That's my bike:
IMG_20210528_123112.jpg
IMG_20210528_123105.jpg
IMG_20210528_123059.jpg

I don't know the exact rake. It is a 28" fork. I only looked at the pedal clearance. Also I was looking for a position that would not be in the way of the chain.

Do I think about it? Not so much anymore. But you have to understand it. Here's a pretty straight forward description on bike geometry.
https://www.cyclingabout.com/understanding-bicycle-frame-geometry/That said... some bikes take a bit of practice. Harlequin was weird at first but easy after a bit of practice and a smaller front wheel helped a lot.
KIMG0703.JPG

Carl.

Good eye, there is a difference aboit 2 cm (less than an inch). Bigger front wheel help?
I don't have an answer for that. But if you have a bigger wheel, it only takes a minute to switch out.

I know it's based around motorcycle design, but if you really want to dive down the rabbit hole on rake and trail effects, research Tony Foale. I own his design book and have used it more times than I can count. It's filled with highlights and sticky notes

Back