raleigh 3 pc crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Jose said:
Im tightening the 3pc crank on my raleigh chopper mk1 and it tightens but still wiggles up and down, is this suppose to happen?
If it's the bearing, when you tighten the lock ring it pulls the "cup"away from the bearing slightly,you should make them slightly snug and then lock it and check for binding. Maybe worn.

deorman said:
Dan Jose said:
Im tightening the 3pc crank on my raleigh chopper mk1 and it tightens but still wiggles up and down, is this suppose to happen?
If it's the bearing, when you tighten the lock ring it pulls the "cup"away from the bearing slightly,you should make them slightly snug and then lock it and check for binding. Maybe worn.

Its the pedal spindal thats wiggling. The long rod that the crank and stuff conects to.

If you mean the central axle, that's what I was talking about. Any chance you're being puzzled by a left hand thread? Or do you mean the pain in the brain crank arm cotter pin?

deorman said:
If you mean the central axle, that's what I was talking about. Any chance you're being puzzled by a left hand thread? Or do you mean the pain in the brain crank arm cotter pin?

I havent put on those yet, its just the central axle tightend. It doesnt move in and out, but you can wiggle it up and down a bit.

deorman said:
If it won't stop wiggling without overtightening, it might be missing a few balls, or maybe grooved out from a lot of use. Hope you get it figured out.

I put new cup bearings inside, tried to put loose but i think it was much worse. So your saying the cups might be worn out?

Graylock said:
ej599 said:
Are the new bearings the right size?
Yeah what ej said. Also do you remember how many bearings you put in, maybe 22?

GL
I used 22, I took it from a male raleigh sport.

You got y'ur bearings in order lad..............and the races............how 'bout the cone? Do you still have that male raleigh sport? Maybe that center crank axel is the same, might be worth comparing with the one on your bike. Keep at it, it's fixable.

GL

Back